Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep CJ7 Undercarriage Rust

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a Jeep CJ7, but it has a significant amount of rust on the undercarriage. The current owner put in new floor pans, but left the previous rusted out floor as additional reinforcement. He says that it is totally solid and no longer an issue.

I don't know much about what I'm getting into and am wondering if this should be an outright no or if it could likely be just fine.

See pics here: http://imgur.com/a/cutdd

Thanks for any and all advice you may have!

you talking floorboards or frame, or both ? ....cuz from pics, frame seemed ok..... but cant really tell about floorboards ! .... bring a Philips screwdriver with ya, and if it can be punched thru any rusty areas, then that area is BAD !
    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

IMO welding new floors in over the rusted ones is a short cut at best. Further, you need to check for rust in several other places on the tub.

1. Seat belt anchors

2. Under the roll cage, both on the floor boards and under the rear fenders.

3. The step up between the front and back.

4. Up the sides, under the doors, and the front of the rear wheel wells.

5. The window frame

6. Front fenders.

7. Under the window frame on the tub

8, The hood vent.

As far as the frame need to look for rust in the following places.

1. The transition just in front of the rear axle, on the bottom.

2. Behind the shock towers

3. Rear frame C channel that ties the rear horns of the frame together.

4. Look for stress cracks on the rear front axle spring perches.

If you see a bubble in the paint on the tub, its rusted through.

If you are looking at buying it.

I would drive it on the highway for 15-20 minutes, make sure its not overheating. Look at the temp gauge, see if its working correctly, if its not then the gas gauge needs to be replaced with it as well as the voltage for the temp gauge comes from the gas gauge. Look under the dash, see if there is a rats nest of cut wires and rewiring jobs. See if the heater works. See if the wipers work. See what kind of selectable hubs it comes with i.e. 5 hole verses 6 hole, see if the bolts are loose and wobbly (means that the front hubs are trashed and you would need to replace them), see if the front cross member is torn on the driver side in front of the steering box, see if the AMC 20 has been modified i.e. sleeved, trussed, one piece axle shafts. See what kind of carburetor it has on it. Check the brakes. Check the clutch linkage as it can pop out at an inopportune time if not adjusted correctly, sometimes it can pop out anyways.

Make sure it comes with a title and that numbers on the title match the frame, windshield frame.

These are the things that I think about off the top of my head.

Wally

Comment

Working...
      X