F150 4WD not working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 4WD not working

Ok, I know it's not a Jeep, but I'd rather not join another club to ask a question when there's plenty of inteligence in this club to help with a small issue. I've already done some research & troubleshooting & trying to figure out what the repair is before I start throwing money at parts. here's where I'm at....

99 Ford F150 5.4 Lariat
    When switching to 4wd, I hear a click, but no engagement. It seems to be geared for 4wd, but no FWD engagement. Reading a few articles, I tried the T case motor. I took it off & had the truck switch 2wd to 4wd (hi & lo). The motor turned about 45 degrees for both 4wd hi & lo (ie: it turned 45 when switching to 4wd hi & didn't move when going to 4wd lo), but should have turned more, about 90 degrees for hi & 180 for lo. The motor is supposed to turn the lever on the back of the t case in order to engage 4wd (fyi).

I took apart the motor & everything appears to be functioning ok & nothing damaged. I had read that sometimes the stop on the gear that turns sometimes wears over time & the motor doesn't know how to turn or when to stop, but the stop on the gear looked fine. I also cleaned up some of the electrical connectors & magnets.

All that being said, I don't know if it's a bad motor or something is telling the motor to only turn 45 degrees instead of 90 or 180. There's a $65 motor at AAP that I may try, but if it's not the cuprit, I just wasted $65 & still have the problem. I've also read it could be an IWE solenoid, GEM module, or actuator, but after seeing the gear turn partially, I think it's something computer related or bad motor.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by mujeeper; 07-20-2015, 11:31 AM.

I have no idea, as the transfer case motor on both of me jeeps, is the Jeeps ENGINE ! but I have a dana 300 and a NP 231 ! .... what transfer case you have ?
    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Seriously, Spune? Even if I knew what model of motor that was on the back of a transfer case, are you able to provide any further input? Anyone who has ever read a thread on this website knows the answer to that. Please, when people are looking for advice, pointless comments that provide no value whatsoever aren't as appreciated as you may think.

I'm trying to fix my truck. If you have no input that can get me closer to that, please refrain from commenting.

Comment

my son is a Ford tech I'll send a text and ask tomorrow I have an 02 ford 4x4 so it will be nice for me to know also

Comment

spoke with my son (sorry for the delay) he tells me if the light comes on when you put it in 4wd its probably not the motor .when you put it in 4wd you need to see if the drive shaft coming out of the transfer case is turning,if not there is a vacuum operated motor to engage the front axle, that may not be working could be loss of vacuum or a broken shift fork

Comment

I tested it to see what the motor does when shifting in 4wd. When you remove the motor, there's a dial with markings on the T case indicating 2wd, 4wd hi, & 4wd lo. The dial needs to be turned in order to engage different drive modes. It needs to turn about 90 degrees for 4wd hi & 180 degrees for 4wd lo. When I have someone shift through the drive mode, it turns about 45 degrees for 4wd hi & doesn't move for 4wd lo.

That's kinda why I think it's the motor or something with the electronics that's not telling the motor to turn all the way. Once it does, I'm assuming the 4wd would work. Actually, I guess I could manually turn the dial with some vice grips to double check. Regardless, I can tell that the motor isn't turning all the way so still gotta look at that.

Here's a link of a good write up I used before diving into this. Some good photos of the dial & overall process of how to repair the motor rather than replace it. Mine is a 99 & the stop on the dial looks to have been redesigned so not to wear like shown in the writeup (fyi), so yours is probably fine being a 02 model.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/....php?p=1102904

This is a good maintenance/clean up write up

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...shiftmotor.htm

Thank you for responding.

Comment

As an update, the issue appeared to be the 4WD solenoid. Apparently for F150's in that year range, they were somewhat prone to going out prematurely given their design & location. Basically, there's no cover over them & they're mounted on the firewall, right behind the battery (passenger side), so it's more exposed to rain & whatnot. The new design has a cover. What ingenuity..... There's 2, actually. Not sure if both needed to be replaced or what, but I did anyway. Funny thing is, it drives a lot better than before, so I think 1 might have already been out & the other recently went out & thus no more 4wd. Not sure, it's not my truck, but apparently it drives better than it ever did. Part #'s are 600400 & 600401 & you can find them directly behind the battery. Hope this helps if anyone else ever has this issue!

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...514&cc=1422751

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...724&cc=1414628

Comment

Originally posted by mujeeper View Post
                Seriously, Spune? Even if I knew what model of motor that was on the back of a transfer case, are you able to provide any further input? Anyone who has ever read a thread on this website knows the answer to that. Please, when people are looking for advice, pointless comments that provide no value whatsoever aren't as appreciated as you may think.

I'm trying to fix my truck. If you have no input that can get me closer to that, please refrain from commenting.

Seriously, some folks also have a sense of Humor ! .....but I hear it sometimes misses a generation or so !
                I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by mujeeper View Post
                  As an update, the issue appeared to be the 4WD solenoid. Apparently for F150's in that year range, they were somewhat prone to going out prematurely given their design & location. Basically, there's no cover over them & they're mounted on the firewall, right behind the battery (passenger side), so it's more exposed to rain & whatnot. The new design has a cover. What ingenuity..... There's 2, actually. Not sure if both needed to be replaced or what, but I did anyway. Funny thing is, it drives a lot better than before, so I think 1 might have already been out & the other recently went out & thus no more 4wd. Not sure, it's not my truck, but apparently it drives better than it ever did. Part #'s are 600400 & 600401 & you can find them directly behind the battery. Hope this helps if anyone else ever has this issue!

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...514&cc=1422751

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...724&cc=1414628
                  I had a similar issue in my Tahoe a year or so ago -- My transfer case encoder motor stopped working.
                  When it failed it defaulted in 4-LO, took the dealer over a week to determine the cause.

Comment

Working...
                  X