Friend is looking at.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend is looking at.....

Guy I know was contacted by the seller of this 81 CJ7.. My friend has a old rod for sale or trade. I told him I could ask around about the value or lack there of .....of the attached CS post

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/4986182528.html
    sigpicerrinjan 99 TJ to much to list....

Its probably fair priced. CJ 7s often sell for more.

With that said, if you see bubbles in the paint, its rusted through. The floor boards, the front A pillars, the transition between the front and rear floor boards, under the roll cage brackets, and the windshield frame are ALL common places for rust to form.

Do the windshield wipers work? If not, most likely all the mechanical parts inside the windshield frame need to be rebuilt. Otherwise the parts will bind and ruin the motor. (I killed 7 windshield wiper motors before I figure it all out).

Look at the frame, see if there are cracks behind the rear part of the shackle hangers. Look for rust on the frame at the transition point over the rear axle. Look at the front cross member, if its been wheeled hard there are often tears in it on the front that will need to be repaired.

Ask about the wiring. If it looks like a birds next under the dash........ its probably going to have electrical issues. The gas gauge and temp gauge are directly attached in the speedometer cluster, if the temp gauge is out the gas gauge is too, because thats where the voltage regulator for the temp gauge is located.

Ask about overheating issues with the V8 on the highway? Especially with a winch and a stock radiator.

Does it have one piece rear axles if it has an AMC20? One piece axles are an upgrade.

Does it have Chromo axles in the front? A locker and 33s are about where the stock 260x U joints start spitting out caps.

See if it stops? The stock brakes are marginal with the stock brake booster and stock brake calipers.

Might also check to make sure that its properly titled.

I think thats about all the questions I can think of to ask, off the top of my head.

Wally

Comment

Thank you....he ended up taking cash....more than he ever thought he might get.
      sigpicerrinjan 99 TJ to much to list....

Comment

Working...
      X