2" suspension lift for 06 tj x ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2" suspension lift for 06 tj x ?

Hello I have an 06 tj x and want to get a 2" suspension lift for it. I was wondering a couple of things. First is it ok to do just a coil spring and shock lift or will that change the geometry of the suspension and start to break or wear things out? The other question I have is which vendor should I be looking at for a quality lift kit? I have looked at Rough Country and some reviews but like anything Ive heard good and bad things.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer
    Darren

I'm not a TJ guy but I know I see a lot of Old Man Emu lifts on Wranglers and they all seem to be happy. OME is a higher end product than RC so it'll cost more coin. I have an OME lift on my WK and it's worth every penny.

FWIW, I'm fairly certain you can put a 2" lift on that platform without addressing any other components and still maintain a quality ride and driveability.
    -Mike B-
    '01 XJ Sport
    '11KK Limited

Comment

I've gone up to 3" bb with no regrets... Even ran 35's.
      "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
      Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

Originally posted by JeepN4kc View Post
        I'm not a TJ guy but I know I see a lot of Old Man Emu lifts on Wranglers and they all seem to be happy. OME is a higher end product than RC so it'll cost more coin. I have an OME lift on my WK and it's worth every penny.

FWIW, I'm fairly certain you can put a 2" lift on that platform without addressing any other components and still maintain a quality ride and driveability.
        I do agree with you. Another good brand is skyjacker lift kit.

Comment

What are you wanting to do with a suspension lift? Gain room for bigger tires? How big of a tire?

Reason why I ask - you have a 9 yr old vehicle. Its subject to worn components, mostly the rubber in suspension, engine/trans mounts, body, etc. Once you start changing things, worn components will shortly appear and either replacement or upgrade will be required.

The TJ is a fine example of a machine that is very capable out of the box. Even with stepping up in 2 tire sizes from the base....stepping up to 30s shouldn't require any change in suspension height. TJs come stock with 30" tires.

To get a lift, basic and easy, look for the 2" poly spacer lift kit. The kit should include the 4 spacers, 4 shocks, bump stop extenders, and a rear track bar riser. I'd look for a set of rear shock extenders otherwise the bigger body of the new shock will hit the coil axle bucket during travel. The kit may contain a front track bar relocation bracket or claim to relocate 3/4" over, but I would step up to an adjustable front track bar. The kit should contain a riser bracket to relocate the rear track bar. That's fine, but again, look to upgrade to an adjustable. The bump stop extenders are just spacers to place in...the stock rubber bump stops may need replacement as they get brittle and break apart with age. You can step up to polys for the upgrade.
          The rear shock upper mounts will be troublesome to say the least to get out. They tend to rust and then break requiring a lot more work to get the new shocks in. The upper mount is referred to as a bar pin. Its the same type of mount at the bottom of the front shocks.
          Steering will need to be adjusted as well as the front axle since there is a bigger gap between the axles and the frame.
          I'd suggest to get quick disconnects for the front sway bar that allows you to disconnect it for trail riding.

That's about it for the simple spacer lift I can recall from 10 yrs ago. I still have the poly spacers in the rear, but I've changed all other aspects of the suspension over time with articulating and adjustable control arms and track bars, long travel shocks (front/rear), longer front brake lines, front sway disconnects, etc.
          Mike
          Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Working...
          X