Post up your favorite Safety tips!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post up your favorite Safety tips!

I can't take credit for writing this list but I thought it would be a nice start. If you have a tip or a story to share, post it up. I think it would be good to share our experiences with each other.

1. Let Someone Know
    Let someone know where you will be and when you expect to return. This applies to all trips, not just those in challenging areas. People have gotten stuck or lost in relatively easy terrain. Should something happen and you’re unable to leave the area or call for help, your friends or family will know to contact authorities.

2. The Buddy System
    Always have at least one other vehicle along. This ensures that you will have transportation out in the event your vehicle becomes stuck or damaged and can’t be fixed there. Plus, the extra vehicle means additional manpower to help with problems.

Always travel with a buddy. They can help get you out of binds and vice versa.
    Always travel with a buddy. They can help get you out of binds and vice versa.

3. Pack Extra
    Pack survival gear. Even a Sunday drive on the beach can turn sour. Pack the proper gear to get you through the night and to handle medical emergencies that may occur. Extra water is near the top of the list, too.

4. Strap it Down
    Tie everything down inside the vehicle. Your gear will go flying around if you roll over or lay the vehicle on its side. Loose items become missiles that can injure and kill anyone inside.

Make sure everything in and out of your vehicle is properly strapped down before you hit the trail.
    Make sure everything in and out of your vehicle is properly strapped down before you hit the trail.

5. Buckle Up
    Everyone needs to wear a seatbelt just like when you drive on paved roads. You and your passengers will get jostled around quite a bit on many of the trails. Plus, the possibility for a rollover or crash exists at any time. The big rock you suddenly hit could cause you or your passengers to go flying out a window. Make sure everyone is belted in.

6. Stay Inside – All of You
    Arms and legs must remain inside the vehicle. Many trails run through narrow passageways. Any arms or legs hanging outside can get injured of caught on trees, cliff walls or rocks just outside your vehicle. If the vehicle begins to tip your instinct is to put your hand out. There is no way you will be able to stop a vehicle this way. Roll your windows up if you can’t control the urge.

Also, make sure no one holds onto the roll bar. Their fingers will get smashed in the event of a roll over. Hands can also be injured if you drive under low-hanging branches.

7. Take a Break
    Quit if you become tired. Four-wheeling requires the utmost concentration. Any letdown can lead to an accident and perhaps worse. If you feel fatigued at all, pull over and rest or let someone else drive. Do not force it.

8. E-Brake On When Stopped
    Lock it down. When driving off-road, you are seldom on level ground. Make sure your vehicle will not roll away from you. When you stop, apply the emergency brake, put the vehicle in park, and turn off the engine.

9. No Hanging
    Do not hang on a vehicle. If the vehicle gets stuck in a precarious position, do not try to pull it down or otherwise tip it by hand, and absolutely do not climb on the vehicle. Use the proper tools and techniques and always be a safe distance away. A vehicle can and will crush you if given the chance.

10. Show Respect – To the Tools
    Treat winches and Hi-Lift straps with respect. The straps, clevises, and other pieces are under extreme tension when in use. Inspect all parts before using, and stand clear while you are trying to recover a vehicle. A failure in gear or rigging can be lethal to you and by standers.

Comment

8. E-Brake On When Stopped
      Lock it down. When driving off-road, you are seldom on level ground. Make sure your vehicle will not roll away from you. When you stop, apply the emergency brake, put the vehicle in park, and turn off the engine.

My personal favorite -- I have watched my jeep start to roll too many times without me sitting inside. Ask MuJeeper on this, as he is always there when it happens.

Comment

Lol, I went out and bought a rubber chalk block after you told me about that.

Comment

carry at least 1 Jack stand ! ... never climb under a jeep that is supported by just the Hi-Lift !
          and
          Wheel SOBER ! :)
          I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
          it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
          Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

You have to watch a hi lift anyway. I had a buddy that wanted to help and he didn't get the lever engaged all the way and started to let go of the handle and it smacked him in the face. I'm surprised it didn't knock him out.

Comment

I think a lot can be discussed regarding recovery points and proper mounting hardware and locations. As well as winch safety.

Grade 8 with attachment points on the frame. Be aware of your strap limitations, shackle limitations, winch limitations.

Be aware that bolts holding recovery points to your vehicle are rated for a tensile load, not a shear load - so be aware of your angle of recovery.

Also, never stand in the line of fire of a strap, shackle, or winch cable. If they fail you don't want to be a sitting duck.

Keep in mind that snatch blocks (pulleys) can be used as a change of direction and/or mechanical advantage in recovery techniques. However, when you include these in your recovery system the rated capacity of the snatch block must be taken into consideration (with the weak point being the bolt in the center of the pulley). Snatch blocks can be used to change direction of your pull to get around trees or objects, but when your working angle exceeds 90* it puts the block and especially the winch cable at an undesirable working angle - essentially reducing rated working capacity. You can also include a snatch block at the anchor point of the Jeep being recovered, with the winch being anchored back to the winching Jeep - this will give a 2 to 1 mechanical advantage. Meaning your pull will be twice as strong, but, your pull will be a 2 foot pull for every 1 foot of movement on the working end. Additionally, consider anchoring the Jeep doing the winching, or even just chocking a wheel or two.

Synthetic winch line is most desired IMO because it does not hold kinetic energy when put under tension - meaning if it fails it more or less falls to the ground. That doesn't mean any hardware attached to it won't go flying but the syn line is safer than steel cable. Regardless of steel or syn, always try and maintain tension on the line while pulling. Winch line, tow straps, even recovery points for that matter, are not necessarily rated for a shock load.

Lots of things to think about when it comes to recovery and I am by no means an expert - these are just some things I have learned out on the trails and/or stuff that pertains to my job.
              Last edited by JeepN4kc; 03-16-2015, 10:26 PM.
              -Mike B-
              '01 XJ Sport
              '11KK Limited

Comment

Working...
              X