Poor mileage!?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor mileage!?!

Hey guys I'm new to the site and hope to join the club. I have a concern on mileage though. Im running a modded OME and 33/12.5r17. Also have limited Hemi.... Any reason i get 9.2 a gallon and 186 on a tank?

If you have compensated for adding larger heavier rolling tires/wheels, you are putting the engine/trans into a situation where they are not designed to be with the tire size. It takes that much more to get it to go completely around - meaning the circumference of the tire is longer than stock. This places the rpm range for a given speed lower.
    Since the tires/wheels are larger, they will also be heavier. Think of yourself walking in boots with added mud on them. It takes you more effort to walk with added weight. Same concept just for the weight.

If you haven't regeared for the added tire size, you should. This will bring the driveline back to near basic operational design.
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

If you haven't bought a tuner (Superchips; Diablo) I would recommend doing so. As Mike mentions, the heavier tires will hurt your MPGs (33s will put a hurt even to the 5.7).

The tuner will enable you to recalibrate your speedo, odo, and trip. Your evic thinks the tires haven't traveled as far because they don't have to rotate as many times per mile as they did when stock. Therefore, your speedometer is off by probably around 7% (slower). As well, your miles traveled are off and your miles per gallon. The other thing the tuner does is reset your tranny so the shift points are more appropriate.

As far as gearing - the only option out there for the WK are 4.10 gears. The limiting factor being the front diff.
      The only company I know of making the gear sets for the WK is Nitro Gear http://www.nitro-gear.com/.

It's not much of a jump from the factory 3.73s but it is an option.

Nice rig btw!
      Last edited by JeepN4kc; 01-22-2015, 08:18 PM.
      -Mike B-
      '01 XJ Sport
      '11KK Limited

Comment

Originally posted by JeepN4kc View Post
        If you haven't bought a tuner (Superchips; Diablo) I would recommend doing so. As Mike mentions, the heavier tires will hurt your MPGs (33s will put a hurt even to the 5.7).

The tuner will enable you to recalibrate your speedo, odo, and trip. Your evic thinks the tires haven't traveled as far because they don't have to rotate as many times per mile as they did when stock. Therefore, your speedometer is off by probably around 7% (slower). As well, your miles traveled are off and your miles per gallon. The other thing the tuner does is reset your tranny so the shift points are more appropriate.

As far as gearing - the only option out there for the WK are 4.10 gears. The limiting factor being the front diff.
        The only company I know of making the gear sets for the WK is Nitro Gear http://www.nitro-gear.com/.

It's not much of a jump from the factory 3.73s but it is an option.

Nice rig btw!
        Ok thanks ill try that next. Do you honestly think it will help as in get me back to where i was at 13 mpg stock??? i doubt it but wishful thinking... Thanks man

Comment

No. You have raised the vehicle so it is not as aerodynamic and added a mechanical disadvantage. Just correcting the speedo should allow you to calculate the correct mileage at closer to 10mpg.
          The only answer is to trade your WK for my WJ. :) Great looking Jeep by the way!

Comment

Originally posted by inphobic View Post
            No. You have raised the vehicle so it is not as aerodynamic and added a mechanical disadvantage. Just correcting the speedo should allow you to calculate the correct mileage at closer to 10mpg.
            The only answer is to trade your WK for my WJ. :) Great looking Jeep by the way!
            only if you take the payments with it

Comment

Originally posted by bcoots View Post
              only if you take the payments with it

by the way thanks

Comment

I wish ya all would speak English ! .... whats an OME ?
                I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
                  I wish ya all would speak English ! .... whats an OME ?
                  lol.........short for Old Man Emu suspension.
                  -Mike B-
                  '01 XJ Sport
                  '11KK Limited

Comment

Well that would explain it since it's Australian. :)

Comment

Working...
                    X