steering wheel adj 97 TJ

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering wheel adj 97 TJ

Okay, I know..petty especially after wheelin...but I'd like my steering wheel to be ---ugh....what's the word---- horizontal? when I'm headin straight..for the most part, the steering wheel is slightly off.

I've tried taking it off the steering gear (I have hydro assist) and straightening it out that way...I know like on my riding mower there is a cover that you pop off and then can take the steering wheel off and adjust that way...

sound too complicated? I'll take a pic tonight if I can and add..

Are you talking about removing the airbag from the steering wheel and then remove the center nut? That cover is attached from the rear of the steering wheel.

Comment

To get the steering wheel straight, you have to adjust the tie rod and drag link.

The steering wheel is splined and keyed to the shaft it rotates.
      Mike
      Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

okay...I thought that was it Jag...didn't know if there was another way. I tried to reset it on the spline but it only fit's the one way...thus putting the wheel off center.

Thanks

Comment

Thats only way I know of as well? Adjust the tie rod between the steering box and the steering knuckle.

Most likely if its off, after wheeling, something has been bent.

Comment

It's the adjusting sleeve on the drag-link that needs to be adjusted.

Pull your Jeep in the garage or driveway with your wheels straight, leave the steering wheel cocked, tires on the ground, and keys in the ignition.

Spray the adjusting sleeve/threads/hardware with penetrant. Loosen the 2 bolts on the adjusting sleeve (15mm) .

Grab the adjusting sleeve with your hand (might need a pipe wrench).

Rotate the adjusting sleeve noting which direction turns the steering wheel the way you need it to go (this will make your steering wheel turn as the Jeep sits).

Make sure the bolts are pointed away from the trackbar when you tighten them back up.
            -Mike B-
            '01 XJ Sport
            '11KK Limited

Comment

thanks...appreciate the directions. Trying to get the ol beast rolling here by Jan 1. LOL, replaced calipers and rotors on rear so I need to bleed brakes as well.

Looking my set up, I don't have the adjustment sleeve. I've got a Skyjacker 8 in lift....I forgot I didn't have that. I'm assuming I'd adjust the bar that connects to the drop pitman arm by adjusting the heim joints on either end?

here is a pic
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SoonerJeepMan; 12-21-2014, 05:40 PM.

Comment

^^^ Yes, assuming you have heim joints that are adjustable that is what you would want to adjust. In your pic - the top bar is your trackbar, middle is your drag link, bottom is your tie rod.

My previous post for adjustments is in regards to the drag link.
                -Mike B-
                '01 XJ Sport
                '11KK Limited

Comment

lol...yes they are adjustable.....just put new ones in. The tie rod would be to adj the "toe" of the wheels...right? I need to figure out a way to measure it...my jeep sits a little catty wampus due to wheeling so measuring off of body won't work.

Comment

Working...
                  X