Ball joints?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball joints?

Anybody have opinions/recommendations on ball joint brands?

Looking to swap in some new ones in the coming weeks but can't get a good read on the best bang for the buck.

It seems Omix-Ada and Spicer are somewhat synonymous but I can't confirm this. I also know that many aftermarkets or "oe replacements" can turn into trouble as far as staying tight.
    -Mike B-
    '01 XJ Sport
    '11KK Limited

Call me @ 314-495-3941

I know all about balljoints and how get get the best "bang for your buck"

I even have a balljoint tool kit! (won it at the club picnic)

RoKn

Comment

The JKers upgrade their joints and the market is tending to other applications. This year's SEMA had TeraFlex sporting out their new rebuildable joints. Synergy is also another. To KISS, local purchase of Moog, Dana/Spicer is what you want. Double check what's inside a Moog box...you can get someone's replacement return.
      Mike
      Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Originally posted by jagular7 View Post
        To KISS, local purchase of Moog, Dana/Spicer is what you want.
        ^^^ This is most likely the avenue I'll take. Synergy are way more money than I'm willing to spend. I would maybe consider Alloy USA but I've read mixed reviews on those and they are twice the cash that I could get Spicer joints.
        -Mike B-
        '01 XJ Sport
        '11KK Limited

Comment

Spicer is what I have always used. I also have ball joint replacement tools and have done two sets of XJ ball joints and an F250 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by 2OR4WHELLIN View Post
            Spicer is what I have always used. I also have ball joint replacement tools and have done two sets of XJ ball joints and an F250 this year.
            Yep - ended up going with Spicer 706944X ball joints. OEM style, greasable top/non-greasable bottom. First time I'd ever done ball joints. Not a terrible job IF you're not on a time restraint. I took my time, did things over the course of a couple days - little here little there - rented a ball joint press from the parts store right down the street. (I appreciate the offer from Spinner and yourself but the parts store is literally right down the street).

Some things for anyone that's never done them:

Penetrating oil
            Cheater bar (I used a 4' square tube steel and needed every bit of it)
            Press rental from Advanced Auto is the one you want
            Leave the upper and lower ball joint castle nuts threaded a bit so when you smack the **** outta the knuckle w/ a bfh it just pops loose and doesn't drop to the floor
            If the knuckle is stubborn then put one bfh on the ledge just below the upper joint on the knuckle and hit it with another bfh (swing the hammer like a man)
            Have a wedge or pickle fork handy for when the joints don't pop all the way out with the press - you can get under the lip of the joint and work it out
            May need to use washers or scrap steel in order to fit the press pieces square for pressing the joints back in

Another thing - I always clean/lube/anti-seize everything I pull apart (especially the bolts) before putting it back together. This is the second time I've pulled my front end apart and it was much easier than the first time if you catch my drift. It is also a good time to clean out the axle tubes, grease the axle shafts and splines, inspect the inner portion of the axle tubes to see that the inner axle seals are in fact doing their job.
            Last edited by JeepN4kc; 12-22-2014, 03:05 PM.
            -Mike B-
            '01 XJ Sport
            '11KK Limited

Comment

Ugh.... I HAVE to do this and change out my axle joints BEFORE I wheel again, and I have been putting it off....guess it is time to step up and get things done... :)

John
              1997 Cherokee, 3", 32" MT's, and too many lights.. :)

Always Smilin'

Comment

Working...
              X