new guy, WJ questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guy, WJ questions

Howdy all, after 16 years of licensed motoring, i have decided to give a JEEP a try. I bought a 2000 WJ and have a few questions.

1. It has a 2004 4 liter in it with 80k. From the research I've done, the oil pressure should drop at idle, but what is considered too low? It makes no noise, and the gauge reads just over 25psi at idle and around 45psi driving. This is more to soothe my fevered brow.

2. Are 245/70/16s too small for a 2" budget boost? I think they should be fine, but would love visual confirmation.

3. It drives and steers fine, no slop or solid axle shuffle, will going up 2" illicit any bad behavior due to driveline binding or pinion angles?

Me: Not neccessarily a Ford guy, but its all I've owned. 4 square body F150s, 5 mustangs/capris and the best truck never should have sold, my old Ranger. If any of you are old timers, I would tag along at Tuttle from to time. Red 93 Ext. Cab short bed truck with a small lift and front and rear limited slips.

Anyhoo, thats that.

Welcome to the club's forum.

WJs are mostly used as street vehicles for Joe and June Public. There are a few that actually make the dirt and rocks. The club doesn't really have a good following of ownership on the luxury Jeep vehicles. However, the 4.0l is used, well used, in multiple jeep applications.
    For your oil pressure, its an electrical sensor dealing with pressures. It will fluctuate depending on your rpms.
    Why look into a budget lift if you are not lifting to gain room for larger tires? The wheelwells will limit the size of larger tires unless you 'trim' the sheetmetal. Then lifting leads into further suspension changes. Relatively, lifting and keeping the stock size tires does tend not to fit....but eye of the beholder....
    If you do go with the 2" budget lift, this will require an alignment. Its a minimal change between the frame and axle, so its still within adjustment limits.

Do check out the Wheeling For Toys event on 12/13 for wheeling with your Jeep. Make sure it has front and rear recovery points and the other minimal recommendations listed here on the club's forum.
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

I'm looking to lift for a short list of reasons.
      1. WJs look better that way.
      2. It will see occassional use as a creek crosser when birding.
      3. Eventual 30ish" tires.

Oil pressure.

I know its theoretically a dummy gauge, i was just curious what the accepted range was.

I've been around everything from motorcycles to late 60s boat tail alfa spiders to 2200hp renegage outlaw cars. Judt curious about some "jeep-centric" things.

Comment

Your oil pressure is well within limits. If the sender is bad it would drop to 0 psi at idle. As you said there is not any noise so that means the oil psi is good. You don't want to see it get below 10 psi at idle, if it does there may be some problems, but when it is that low you will get some noise.

When I had my WJ I put a budget boost and Up Country springs on it and cleared the 245/75R16 tires that came stock on the rubicon. I wheeled it pretty good before selling it. That small lift did not have any effect on driveline issues. It will need an alignment but this is more to straighten the steering wheel. Due to the steering linkage setup on that jeep your Toe will stay just as it was before the lift, it just changes the position of the steering wheel which is something you could adjust on your own if you wanted.

Good luck if you have any other questions do not be afraid to ask!
        Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

Heres another one. I plan on using as much of the OEM exhaust system as possible, buthate the stock tip and would like a bit of grumble.

I already tended to the tip. I had the stock 2 3/4" outlet rolled stainless tips from my old Mach 1, so i welded one up. What are people usingfor exhaust? I am probably going to stick a 2.25" I/O superturbo on. I want little to no drone.

Comment

We used to own a 5.9 Durango R/T and it had a 2.5" outlet Dynomax muffler with a 2.75" tip from the factory. Sounded throaty with a nice little burble, but didn't drone on the highway. I personally rode in the 3rd row on a trip to Springfield from KC so I could work during the trip and was not bothered at all by the exhaust note.

Any reasonably cheap parts store oval muffler will probably sound decent in a single 2.5 si/so setup.

I run a Thrush 3" si/so on my 5.9 powered TJ and it's pretty rowdy. Sounds good, but probably would get annoying in a tin-top on the highway.

Comment

I'm not planning on doing away with the stock piping, so it will probably end up getting a 2.25" IO superturbo of some kind. I like the way the sound broken in anyway.

Comment

I run a cheapy turbo on mine and it sounds fine. Just try to get it tucked up high is you can.

I run 255/75r17's on mine with a 2" spacer lift. I hate to say it but it could use a 3" lift. It could use a better crossmember for the transmission. It really catches on things under there. Of course mine sometime gets pushed pretty hard.

Comment

i won't pushing it..pushing it real good. Think Daddy mobile for someone who hates generic unmodified stuff.

Comment

This is Jake checking out the return from the top of Tin Cup.
                    Attached Files
                    Mike
                    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Thats pretty much a twin to mine. I'd add pictures, but apparently jpegs aren't good currency anymore.

I can add pictures of my old Ranger playing at Tuttle from years ago, the F150s....well, they all had wonderful open diffs.

Comment

Thanks mike. I am getting close to replacing mine. Right now I am leading towards getting another WJ.

Comment

Working...
                        X