Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

budget jk build looking for Lee's summit or kc shop to install new gears.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• budget jk build looking for Lee's summit or kc shop to install new gears.

Hey jeepers I recently purchased a set of yukon gears 5.38 and master install kit for my 07 jk with 39000 miles. I live in lees Summit and I'm trying to find a reasonably priced shop to do the instalation. Anyone have a recommendation or pricing you would expect?

The mechanic that works on my jeep is in Grain Valley and is reasonable. I can give you his contact information if you want to give him a call.
    -David S.-

Comment

I have had Maywood Transmission set up 3 sets of gears for me and I am very satisfied with their ability to do it right the first time. They are Jeep guys too!

Comment

Originally posted by sax911 View Post
        Hey jeepers I recently purchased a set of yukon gears 5.38 and master install kit for my 07 jk with 39000 miles. I live in lees Summit and I'm trying to find a reasonably priced shop to do the instalation. Anyone have a recommendation or pricing you would expect?
        Unless you have a Rubicon, the lowest you can go with gears is 5.13.

Comment

4x4Land is a great shop and sponsor to the club here.
          Quote from another response for engine swap - "We deliver and pickup jeeps in kc every week for service work. Feel free to contact us at 4x4 land. 785 862 8008 "

I've had my recent gear work completed by them...
          Mike
          Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

I do have a rubicon with D44's

Would it be unrealistic to think I could get them installed for $400-450?
            How many real hours would go into this for a skilled shop?

Comment

Mike at 4 X 4 Land is pickin up me new jeep next to do some work on it ! ....
              Last edited by spunebil; 07-12-2015, 01:55 PM.
              I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
              it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
              Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Something to think about, since its going to be torn apart, replacing seals and bearings. It will add to the cost, BUT it will give you a little insurance on not having to pay twice. If you have a bearing or seal fail, it all has to come out properly replace.

$4-700 per end is fair. You want to bid the appropriate amount of time for an ethical person to do it right, verses slapping it in there with the thought that its "good enough".

Wally

Comment

...and be aware that normally buying your own parts and bringing them to the shop, they won't be warrantied should something go wrong. I'd always buy the gears from the guy doing the install - then there's never a question down the line.

Comment

I am in the middle of a gear swap now on my YJ. 3:07 to 4:10. All I can say is this is costing more than I thought. I will have the tools when I am done but dang. I have bought so far from EBAY and Craislist. A 12 ton press - $70, a Used Mitutoyo dial caliper - $50, A used Mitutoyo a dial indicator -$50, a magnetic base for the dial indicator - $15. Gears and carrier from Craigslist in Minneapolis while travelling for work, $125 New bearings race etc kit - $75.

Aussie locker - $265
                    Cherokee Axles from the JY - $40
                    Spicer U joints $20 each

I am wondering if I should have just sourced a Dana 44, but that would have added additional cost.

It adds up fast and it is a lot of work. I was thinking I may have been even money if I just paid someone to do it, but there is no adventure in that.

Comment

Setting up gears properly is better done by those with experience and capability to stand behind their effort. 4x4Land is one that has both and is a strong supporter of the club and its members.

To add, due to the complexity of mating the surfaces of 2 metal components (r&p), using used gears is usually not a common thing for longevity.
                      Yes, upgrading the rear axle from the D35 to a bigger, better, more aftermarket support rear axle would have been a better option. Though, nothing bolts directly in the YJ but another prepared axle. There would be welding required. Rear D44 from a wagoneer (front too) are good options, 8.8 (95-01 disc brakes) from Explorer is another. However, there is some aftermarket support to the D35 (shafts, lockers, discs, etc) that many keep that rear diff.

Good luck.
                      Mike
                      Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

yea Mike at 4X4 Land is ok, he picked up me jeep, I told I wanted to be able to jump in it and drive anywhere, well, a month or so later, I got jeep back, its a **** shoot to drive across town , and the transfercase still needs work, cuz they either forgot to put detent ball back in, or didn't replace the springs, or whatever, and still haven't picked it back up to fix their mistake ! ... 3 or 4 weeks ago, he said he could pick it up the next week ! ... well that has pasted like 2 weeks ago !
                        So I am going to check out Maywood ! .... perhaps I can get some Good service from them !
                        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

ahhh, the stars are cuz I used a gambling term .... its a Charlie romeo alpha papa shoot ! ;)
                          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Working...
                          X