4.0 Engine Rebuild vs Reman??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.0 Engine Rebuild vs Reman??

So I have been trying to figure out the best course of action for getting my XJ back on the road, currently has a blown headgasket. I have what appears to be a decent longblock to use that I got in the spring, but after doing some preliminary work on it to replace gaskets, water pump, etc... I have seen that it needs a little more work then just a drop-in if I want some longevity out of it. It looks like it needs a set of valve stem seals at the minimum and some of the rod bearings have a little more movement than they should (haven't plastigauged them yet though).

I recently moved to the KC area from Topeka and am not sure on good machine shops in the area to go through and do a basic rebuild on this longblock...I would do it myself but if I can find a machine shop to do it for a reasonable price I would opt for that route as I want to make sure this motor lasts a while and not having to pull it again due to me missing a tolerance somewhere.

So question here is this, is it more reasonable for longterm to have this one rebuilt or yank the one with the blown headgasket and use it for a core on a reman unit? And for the remans what is a reliable place for 4.0's?

Biggest thing here is I would like to get this done fairly soon to make sure I have a good winter vehicle again before Winter hits, so if its only a little more to get a reman but I can get it faster with a better warranty then I will go that route...or if a rebuild is less and faster with a decent warranty I will go that route. I guess my real issue is I don't know about any of the machine shops in KC so not sure which ones to trust to do good work and not bend me over in the process.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and/or thoughts on this.

Mike
    92 XJ - 4.5" with 33x12.5's

I have had so so luck with remanufactured long blocks, AND they don't always stand behind their engines. At least thats been my personal experience with Jasper! (I have two of them)

Mann Speed off of Truman Road prepped my last head. They did a good job and stand behind their work. They are SBC guys, but they build and machine all American made brands. LOL just don't try to take an import to them!

Wally

Wally

Comment

We have installed a half a dozenreman 4.0's in the last year. No problems with any of them. Get them in 1 to 2 days. Install in one and a 3 yr unlimited mileage warranty. The ones we do even have a labor warranty on them for the first 12 months if installed professionally. Long blocks are 1950$. I have priced having some of the engines rebuilt and the difference in cost is very minimal and the warranty if built locally is only 12/12. All of our customers have opted for the new engine for speed and warranty. FYI. We deliver and pickup jeeps in kc every week for service work. Feel free to contact us at 4x4 land. 785 862 8008
      4x4LAND.com
      Mike
      Knowledge is priceless

Comment

Working...
      X