Cooling issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling issue

My jeep is a 97 TJ with a small block 350. I built a fan shroud for the primary radiator fan and have an auxiliary fan installed. This combination keeps my temp running between 190 and 210 when getting on it around mid-day when its 90+ out with my modified hood with a hood scoop.

After speaking with Mike at 4x4 Land he made comment that the hood scoop was a taboo and that my fellow jeepers would laugh at me (a theory I will test) but for the sake of argument I put a regular plain Jane hood back on it. Here's the problem now my temperatures are way off and early this morning I am pushing 220 with running the auxiliary fan and it's not even hot outside with a nice cool breeze and I only drove it to work.

Does anyone else have a v8 modified jeep and/or suggestions on how I can keep the jeep from overheating?

Thanks,

Jon

I've got a 99 TJ with a 5.9 Magnum. I run a 3-core aluminum radiator and a flex-a-light 16" (or so) electric fan with one of those thermostats that you jam the prob into the fins. I don't have a working temp gauge right now, but I know it's not running hot, and it never ran hot with the stock replacement all-metal radiator I had before.

My setup isn't exactly like yours because I basically don't have any inner fender wells, but should be comparable. I personally like a cowl induction hood, but I like to be different. Another option would be to put some louvered vents in the hood to let the heat out. Mike's a good guy, and yes, the hood scoop might be frowned upon by some, but it's your Jeep. ;-)

Comment

Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder. If it works, it works!

As someone that has experienced several overheating problems, just about every which way it can be done except for slow speed overheating. i.e. blocking the radiator with a covered winch, too far advanced timing, too small of a fan, running the fuel lines right next to the exhaust, blown head gaskets, worn radiator cap etc etc etc.

Venting the engine compartment can make a significant difference in heat reduction!

Besides venting the hood, or installing an aluminum radiator, you could vent or put a "side panel" in the front fenders (especially if they are rusted through) or ceramic coat the headers.

If the aesthetics of an induction hood end up causing too much harassment from your Jeep buddies, GenRight makes some pre made hood louvers that will allow some hood venting.

http://www.genright.com/Jeep-Hood-Lo...x#.VACHnkvOv1o

Wally

Comment

Originally posted by WallyP226 View Post
        Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder. If it works, it works!
        ^^^ Agreed. Putting hood spacers on the XJ is somewhat considered tacky, I guess, in the Cherokee world. Lot of folks opt for hood vents. I had some scrap aluminum pieces in the garage that I cut down, drilled out, and popped in that work great. Some don't like the look. I neither notice nor care all that much as long as I'm letting a significant amount of heat outta the engine bay.
        -Mike B-
        '01 XJ Sport
        '11KK Limited

Comment

I have major heating up issues and never ever occurs while driving around town or trails. I noticed this problem right after new winch and bumper setup I think. This only occurs now while driving at a constant speed of 50 MPH plus at 1500 RPMs or higher. So in theory prolonged periods of time like highways will always cause the jeep to go up towards 230 degrees I then back it iff to cool down.

Jeep 350 TPI setup with 700r4 automatic transmission
          Largest custom Aluminum radiator I could place in and with largest Volume electric pull fan with shroud
          538 gears and 40" tires
          Hood louvers are installed to allow heat to rise out of engine bay in theory.
          Please note I have one ton axles and I'm a whole lot heavier then a factory TJ as I have two jeeps in one.

Just FYI: again I never noticed this prior to my Warn Powerplant winch with heavy duty front bumper.

My thoughts is in relation to the close proximity of Winch and it's height blocking air flow to radiator. I was thinking about lowering and or pushing out winch to see if it fixes heating problem. I could also just pull bumper and winch to see it corrects itself. If that's not easily fixable I also considered putting a push fan on the front of radiator between it and the grill to see if that fixes it.

Second I also wonder if my trans overdrive setup of locking up torque convertor is not working causing the trans and fluid to heat up. Being that I don't drive on the highway much it's a bit hard to test. I am sure this is a problem too that needs to be fixe too.

Good luck

Edited part-

"Junk"I will assume if this is an auxiliary fan you have the electric fan between the grill and radiator and it is a push and not a pull fan so it's pushing air through the radiator. Many fans can be used both ways as push or pull by switching polarity to reverse rotation.
          Last edited by alanc; 08-29-2014, 09:40 AM. Reason: Added part about fan polarity

Comment

get a radiator that is rated for a 350 V-8 ! ... you have a 4.0 six rated radiator for the Now ! ... and if you have a hood scoop on a TJ, how you going to fold windershield down ? I put a L-88 scoop on me ole XJ, but they don't have folding windershields ! ;)
            I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
            it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
            Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

thanks for all the feed back.

Comment

I know a guy that's got a couple rows of beer-can sized holes drilled in the hood... one row down each side. I think it vents the heat pretty well. :)

Comment

recently saw a thread on pirate 4x4 covering this issue. lots of helpful feedback.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...wapped-v8.html

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...4-cooling.html

Hope these help
                  Last edited by white 99 tj; 09-03-2014, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X