Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone on here extended front frame rails on a Jeep TJ

Jeep TJ question.
    Has anyone on here extended front frame rails so that they can place the their front bumper out further to allow room to drop the winch into the bumper? Trying to both lower the Warn Winch Powerplant and gain more open unrestricted airflow to the radiator

The cross tube support and frame rails are right in the way from the factory and I want to leave them alone and not cut and just add about 6"s

Thanks
    Alan

I don't think you actually want to stretch the front rails because it will ruin your approach angle unless you're moving the front axle forward a bunch. I just relocated the steering box and made a new frame cross member / winch mount out of 3/8" plate.

Doing it this way solved 2 major issues:

1 - It allowed me to move my front axle forward 3.5" to improve approach angle to be nearly flush with the tires.
    2 - It lowered the winch the full depth of the frame rails.

It was a lot more work than you can imagine it would be. I had to build new steering box mounts to allow the box to move forward and rotate the input shaft downward. Then because I have an LCG rig I had to figure out which pitman arm I needed. I tried a flat one, a stock TJ one, and a Waggy one. I think I wound up using the Waggy arm. I also had to notch the frame rails to allow the drag link clearance for full bump.

Comment

I do like what you did. Now it gives me another thing to think about and consider.

Comment

Working...
      X