• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axleshaft RearEnd damage

video of the breakage.

The view into the diff
    IMAG0772.jpg

Alloy USA 30 spline axleshaft -- i am missing around 1.5 inches of shaft in this pic (he he he)
    IMAG0770.jpg

I am worried about the what i believe is the Differential Side Bearing Set. Will know more soon.

Update.. Per Mike @4x4land, that "sidebearing set" is part of the locker. Having a spool installed for now, should be ready for Saturday.
    Last edited by RoKn; 08-22-2014, 12:01 PM.

Were you locked in the front in that video?
    -Mike B-
    '01 XJ Sport
    '11KK Limited

Comment

yep, locked front and rear.

Comment

Which bearing did you trash? Here's a closeup of a Rubi locker:

The bearing is pressed on to the locker case, but you can replace it. If you trashed the actual locker case itself (inside where the shaft passes through), well that's part of the case and you'd likely need a new one. Not sure you can buy just the case or not. I've got one with busted internals but a good case if you want to try and do some surgery... maybe we can get 1 working locker out of the pair. :)

Comment

Pics of the locker damage

IMG_7199.jpg

IMG_5390.jpg

Not sure if we can combine the 2?

Having my rear driveshaft rebuilt as well. I thought it was about time, rebuilt the front driveshaft last year.
          Last edited by RoKn; 08-21-2014, 10:25 PM.

Comment

That sucks, awesome pictures but it still sucks. Is it common for that to happen to a rubi locker when the axle shaft breaks like that? I have not seen that happen with mine and i have broke 2 rear axle shafts now.
            Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by reward_1000 View Post
              Is it common for that to happen to a rubi locker when the axle shaft breaks like that? I have not seen that happen with mine and i have broke 2 rear axle shafts now.

I had Alloy USA chromo shafts in the rear, and after wheeling hard for 18 months this was the first rear shaft I've thrown. Blew through 4 front chromo shafts in that time, all in all id say the Alloy USA shafts had a good run.

I installed G2 chromo shafts this time, Trying to warranty the Alloy USAs as well. (spares)

And for me, its pretty common for massive destruction when I break.

Want to wheel with me Saturday?

Comment

I've broken 3 Rubi lockers. A front that was installed in the rear, and 2 rears. I have a full spool back there now...guess I bought all the used Rubi OE lockers off the market already. :)

Mine never did that. I always broke either the spiders inside, or the center pin. I gave one busted one away, threw the other out when I moved, and have the last one sitting in the shop after I had 4x4 Land install the spool. You're welcome to see if you can make it work - I just kept it for "spare parts" knowing they're not really supposed to be rebuildable, but you never know.... Want me to throw it in the back of the jeep and bring it to C4D?

Comment

Yes, please bring it down.

Comment

I may have to wheel with you guys saturday afternoon. In the morning I have some new people coming with me and a new jeep so we are taking it light till lunch.
                    Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

I'm planning on an easy wheeling day.

No need to push the jeep too hard, just there to enjoy a day off with my jeep.

Comment

Sorry I didn't make it to C4D Jim. The locker's sitting here in the shop. It's yours if you want it. It won't go anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                          Sorry I didn't make it to C4D Jim.
                          Weaksauce bro..... It was a great time!

Ill still take it, either at the picnic or sooner!

Comment

Working...
                          X