locker question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locker question

I have a 95 jeep Cherokee the back axle is a Chrysler 8.25 witha 27 spline count and a 3/55 gear ratio the back end currently has a spool in the back end and I would like to remove it anf put in some kind of locker being on a budget I cannot afford to buy really fancy lockers I was looking into Spartan locker that ratchets but I saw on a website that these lockers are for lighter rigs or vehicles. iam running 35 for tires are these gonna be to much for that locker to handle?

you should be fine...spartan, aussie, or loc rite all will work.
    "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
    Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

^^^ What Tommy said. Just make sure when you order it you get the correct spline count.

Also look into Lokka - it's a rebranded Aussie that costs less.
      -Mike B-
      '01 XJ Sport
      '11KK Limited

Comment

I am running an 8.25 with 3.55 gears and an Aussie locker in the rear of my 97 Cherokee and have had no issues with it. These lockers ratchet on slow turns, but you get used to the noise. I have been very happy with the difference it has made off road :)

John
        1997 Cherokee, 3", 32" MT's, and too many lights.. :)

Always Smilin'

Comment

When you remove the spool, you are going to need a carrier. The spool replaces the carrier and its internal components (spider and side gears and the center pin). Spool is basically a rotating plate where the ring bolts to and has splines for the axle shafts.

The lockers mentioned here are the kind referred to as lunch-box lockers. These replace the spider and side gears in the carrier. The case locker replaces the carrier with itself. The case locker are automatic (Detroit, Grizzly) or manual (electric, air, or cable). The manual case lockers are either open or locked (ie like that spool) until you unlock them. The auto case lockers are designed, like that of the lunch-box locker, to release and relock during aggressive traction (street, concrete) situations so that the outside tire rotates faster than the inside tire on the turn. This makes the outside tire cover the greater ground distance than the inside tire.
          Mike
          Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

what Mike said is true, if you have a full spool, if you have a pocket spool, a pocket locker should fit just fine ! .... I think ! ;)
            I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
            it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
            Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

I run a Spartan in my dana 30 and a Lock Right in my 8.8 both are geared at 4.88 and I run 35" tires on my grand cherokee and have not had any issues with the locker part of things. They both unlock and lock as they should.
              Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

Working...
              X