pass drop waggy axles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pass drop waggy axles

possibly looking for a set of waggy 44's for new project. Not doing anything right a way, but doing research. on pass drop 44...whats a good price? are they as rare as they seem? and what other axle would work if i cant find a pass drop 44? something basically the same tho. Mike Moran?
    "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
    Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

you got or getting a CJ ?
    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

nope.....little older
      "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."

Comment

Tommy, it really depends on what the foundation is, budget, requirement for frame-offset leafs, how wide a track you want, etc.

Wagoneer/J-truck, passenger side drop front, are out there. You can search CL, car-part.com, other forums/FB groups local, etc. You'd be looking for prior to 1980. Its matching rear (D44/AMC20) could be centered or offset (quadratrac). For the J-truck, same as well as including the D60 rear (8-lug setup). Other front application can be the GM or Dodge.
        Mike
        Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

couldn't one flip the t-case to use drivers side drop? or is that un-doable? im extremly out of my comfort zone with this...almost like a newbie again!

Comment

You could flip the TC, will need to buy several hundred dollars in parts, or find used. i.e. a clocking ring, flip kit, new shift boots and or cable shifters. Also might need new drive shafts. Would be a great time to think about twin sticking the TC as well.

If you go the D44 route in the front, unless your starting with a YJ frame, will most likely either have to modify the axle housing OR outboard your leaf springs to clear the differential portion of the housing. With a D30, CJ7 width frame, the inner passenger U bolt actually sits on the lip of the center section, right against the web of the housing. With a D44 you would need to cut into the web.

"Another thought" just a thought, might consider measuring how much you could move the 3rd member portion of the housing inboard with a custom housing. Your clearance issues would most likely be the bell housing, could also be the starter too (if its a straight 6 variant). However with the clocking ring, lift height you should be able to clear the DS. "if" it were me, doing another custom housing, I would probably stick with a low pinion 3rd member in the front, have a CV style TC output shaft, and point the pinion at the TC.

Things I think about.

Wally

Comment

ok.....now that its in MY driveway...I can spill the beans. I am buying a '47 williy's. 327 V8, 4stick (overdrive). I have read on Pirate about stretching and using YJ leafs, either over or under, on waggy 44's. i just didnt know if having the 327 if finding the pass drop was necessary, or if drivers drop and say a twin stick 300 would be the way to go. It actually is starting to sound like a set of pre-80's pass drop would be easier (and smarter) and keep the t-case and transmission thats hooked up already.

Like I said tho...this is down the road. Goal for now is to get it road ready for some father/daughter cruise nights!

Comment

Pics or lies...........;-)
                -Mike B-
                '01 XJ Sport
                '11KK Limited

Comment

Btw - wha happen to the bad@ss monster XJ?
                  -Mike B-
                  '01 XJ Sport
                  '11KK Limited

Comment

Sold it to a couple Marines.....i want open top again....

Comment

proof...Mike B.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Chevy makes a passenger drop D60, some Dodges are passenger drop too. I can't remember off the top of my head what years?

Wally

Comment

Originally posted by tuffnutz70 View Post
                          proof...Mike B.

Very cool, Tommy!
                          -Mike B-
                          '01 XJ Sport
                          '11KK Limited

Comment

Get'r running and keep her stock. Look into military forums for aspects of doing that.

Yah, you're going to have to get a top or where a lot of sun block and this setup currently is a nice driver.....

In modding something like this, you are going to need a budget, big budget. Practically everything will need to be cut off the frame and upgraded. Frame itself is not designed for todays performance. Steering box is located behind/top of front axle. Brake cylinder under the floor. Gas tank, under the driver's seat. Shackles are 'C' type and greasable. Leafs are probably multiple layered. The axles, front should be closed knuckle, D27. Rear should be D44, flange or full floater. Both should be in the 5.38 gears if original, maybe 4.27. If it has the stock 3-sp and D18 case (offset rear axle), and have an overdrive (extra shifter), these are wanted items by restorers. Same for those front seat frames.

There is really nothing that will be a bolt in/on upgrade for it.

You may have to rethink about the direction you want to go. Good luck with it.

But heh, great jeep for the water-paint action for the picnic.
                            Last edited by jagular7; 07-27-2014, 09:15 PM.
                            Mike
                            Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

its kinda hard to keep it stock now (think big bucks to go back to stock ) , since it has a 327 in it , but if it titled, runs, and cheap enough , I am looking for an early cj, or mb as a daily driver and will turn the navy jeep into a trail only (or mostly) ;) Rocker ! :) but if you keep it, good luck and I have a garage if yours is full !
                              ;)
                              I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
                              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
                              it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
                              Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Working...
                              X