Lift Kit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lift Kit

Looking for an affordable lift kit, thinking 3". Have been offroad in my 2013 JK at KS rocks and a few trails in colorado now. the 3" would be nice to add. Jeep doubles as dd so i'd like to keep a decent cross between onroad and offroad. Any suggestions? thx in advance for responding.

I would suggest sticking with a 2.5" lift to avoid some other pitfalls and do your research. Lots of it too.

I can't speak to the quality or ride of any other lift kit than the one we own which is a MetalCloak (www.metalcloak.com). This probably doesn't qualify as "affordable" (that subjective however) but we ended up with the MetalCloak 2.5" Gamechanger ARB Edition. The MetalCloak 2.5" Dual Rate Lift Kit would have the same coils as we have and our 2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon rides better now than it did stock.
    Heath
    2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock
    2014 JKU Rubicon X Package - Deceased - Thank you for your sacrifice in protecting my family.

Comment

My sister just installed a 3.5" rough country. She's not going to wheel it much but so far she's very happy. It was only like $500 or $550. For her it was a great choice since she will stay 99% of the time on the street. I'm looking at a Clayton 3.5" or Rock Krawler 3.5/2.5 kit. Also what size of tire are you looking at running?

Comment

Originally posted by ksuyota View Post
        My sister just installed a 3.5" rough country. She's not going to wheel it much but so far she's very happy. It was only like $500 or $550. For her it was a great choice since she will stay 99% of the time on the street. I'm looking at a Clayton 3.5" or Rock Krawler 3.5/2.5 kit. Also what size of tire are you looking at running?

Looking at 33 or 35" (leaning towards 35). Believe with 35" and at least 2.5" lift I can do most obstacles without going on a damaging trail. After I get two kids out of college I will look for that kind of challenge but want the challenge that at least intermediate trails can provide. That price range is something I can do now, the fall gets really expensive with college kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Umbra Vipera View Post
          I would suggest sticking with a 2.5" lift to avoid some other pitfalls and do your research. Lots of it too.

I can't speak to the quality or ride of any other lift kit than the one we own which is a MetalCloak (www.metalcloak.com). This probably doesn't qualify as "affordable" (that subjective however) but we ended up with the MetalCloak 2.5" Gamechanger ARB Edition. The MetalCloak 2.5" Dual Rate Lift Kit would have the same coils as we have and our 2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon rides better now than it did stock.
          This is the lift I would like to install, have read great reviews, have to wait a bit with 2 college kids this fall. Can do this next summer if I wait since I will graduate one of them. I understand there are challenges in the differential if going too high on a lift kit, or at least money that will need to be spent to handle. I have a Sahara unlimited.

Comment

On her 14 we didn't need to do drive shafts but I believe 13 and older you will.
            If you want to see hers with the lift and 35s let me know. She's
            In lenexa. If you want 33's I would run a 2.5" lift. I know 35's will even fit
            On a 2.5" lift.

Comment

I have a 2012 JKU and I went with a crappy BDS 4.5" lift at first and hated it, caused way to many issues. I switched to a Rock Krawler 3.5 lift and absolutely love it! I had to go above 3" because I did a drag link flip kit which kinda forced me that direction, but if I could start all over again I would look at the Rock Krawler JK 2.5 Max Travel System. It will allow you to run 35's with stock fenders or 37's with flat fenders. It gives you a ton of flexibility for the lift that it is and rides very well on the road, plus it wont kill your $$$ flow. Once you go above 3" on the JKs you have to start worrying about replacing your drive shaft (when you rip the boots), stress on your steering components, etc.

Comment

A few questions for Panfilr. Have you ever installed larger tires or lifted a vehicle before? Also, have you made or installed any modifications to your Jeep?
                Heath
                2014 JKU Rubicon X Package - Deceased - Thank you for your sacrifice in protecting my family.

Comment

Originally posted by Umbra Vipera View Post
                  A few questions for Panfilr. Have you ever installed larger tires or lifted a vehicle before? Also, have you made or installed any modifications to your Jeep?
                  I have not installed a lift kit or tires, i have the current mods which i have installed: Rugged Ridge modular front bumper, 10.5k Rugged Ridge Winch, Lockpick, Rear cam, front cam, stubby antenna, trailer hitch, fuel door, multi-cam coverking seat covers, trail mirrors (when going naked), IPF driving lights (haven't installed the 2nd set yet) and BestTop fastback soft top(bought jeep with Hard top for winter, like soft top for summer).

Comment

Since you've mentioned the need to save up a bit a couple of times, I want to ensure that you account for a couple of other items. If you're already aware of this, let me apologize in advance for my lengthy post. :)

OFF TOPIC
                    Since you are wheeling the Jeep, there are a couple other mods I would recommend you look into before the lift.

First is an engine/transmission skid plate. The automatic transmission has a coolant line that runs right underneath the transmission just begging to be pulled off or crushed.

Second I would recommend either an Evap canister skid plate (aftermarket, MOPAR is flimsy) or a relocation kit. The evap canister is made of plastic and also begging to be pulled off, poked, or crushed. Truth be told the evap canister isn't terribly expensive, around $60, but an aftermarket skid plate can be found for just north of $100. (It was also recommended to me by my Jeep salesman to get the skid plate; OPJeepTerryM.) You may never lose a canister but to me it was worth the few extra bucks to try and avoid the hassles of having to get the canister repaired/replaced. You can read more about the canisters in this thread on JK-Forum.com. http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock...ister-74022/#b

BACK ON TOPIC
                    Bigger tires typically require different wheels. Why? The back space of the wheel needs to be altered to push the tire further away from the steering components and body panels. Because of the extra "rubber" there's good chance stuff will start rubbing during turns and while wheeling if you don't.

Ok...I'm done...I know...I know...shut up already!!!
                    Heath

Comment

Lift Kit

Umbra Vipera: keep the suggestions coming, that's why i join forums. i have had the jeep a year (first jeep) so I still have plenty of learning ahead of me. I did forget to mention i did add a front skid plate but know i need to add the engine transmission as i've hit bottom a couple of times, no damage, but I don't haul my jeep into trails so i need to be able to get home. Hadn't heard about the evap canister plate, i will be jumping on that. I did assume new wheels as well with tires, I'm in shopping mode and trying to make sense of it all. Without college kids it would be easier to go higher end, but must stay a bit tempered. Anything else you can suggest is really appreciated. I'll post some pics of the jeep.

Comment

Welcome to the newbies group. We bought our first Jeep in August of last year and went to a Jeep Jamboree in October. We never looked back. I obviously spend way too much time researching and reading however. lol

Just an FYI but I ended up going with the Poison Spyder Evap Skid (http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-Wr.../17-56-012.htm) which can purchased from 4WD.com for $105.00 with free shipping. (http://www.4wd.com/Armor-Protection/...ions_Container)
                        Heath

Comment

I would suggest talking to Stomper Offroad in Olathe, he can help you with any lift questions you may have and can also hook you up with a local fabricator here in town named Ilya. He makes bumpers/skids/other things and is a great guy. He generally has an extra evap skid sitting around or can fab it up in a few days. There are alot of members of the Facebook group "KC Metro - Jeep JK Group" that he has done work for so there are plenty of his creations floating around town. I was the first guinea pig for his full skid system setup and its held up wonderfully, but he has made some improvements since then.

Comment

Working...
                          X