1997 -2002 Jeep Tj steering gearbox swap to the Durango gearbox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 -2002 Jeep Tj steering gearbox swap to the Durango gearbox

Has anyone switched out their 97 - 02 TJ powering Steering Gearbox for the V8 non snow plow 98 -99 Dodge Durango power Steering Gearbox?

You must use 35" or larger tires.

I read a lot about this swap and had a leaky steering gearbox and it is a direct replacement as everything bolts up as it aids in bettering turning with big tires when stopped. With that being stayed I never had this problem prior to the install.

I only switched out the power steering up gearbox as mine was leaking. Prior to switching it out the the Jeep drove great and the steering- while driving felt normal and easy. Even when I turned corners or switched lanes it was effortless and the steering wheel automatically would right itself back to center.

Now with the new Durango feels like a tight steering, does not right itself back to center and almost feels like effort as if I move the wheel I need to turn it back or it stays in direction I turned. It was never like this prior. I just can't figure it out except that I will assume it's tight because it's remanufactured unit and it maybe needs some more break in time or it's just a bad unit.

Any thoughts????

Everything I've read up on regarding this upgrade on an XJ tells of easier steering on the road. Tighter and more firm feeling the steering. Fewer turns of the wheel lock to lock (though many point to less lock to lock distance).

Sounds like you might give that Durango box a chance to loosen up.
    -Mike B-
    '01 XJ Sport
    '11KK Limited

Comment

The centering adjustment is probably too tight. If you bought a reman box from the parts store it probably just didn't get put together correctly.

If you look at the top of the box there is a nut, something like a 3/4" or so, with an allen head set screw in the middle of it. If you loosen that nut and then loosen the allen head screw it will loosen the steering feel. I can't tell you how much to adjust it, but recommend making small changes and documenting them so if you go too far you know how far to tighten it.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Thanks Mike and Tommy-
        I am considering making that adjustment, but didn't know if I should wait and see if it breaks itself in with a bit of time or just adjust now.

Comment

Working...
        X