Mosquito Pass near Leadville CO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosquito Pass near Leadville CO

Wow crazy day on a great trail...half way through the group of 2 jeeps we were about a mile ahead of us turned around. Told us they had "heard" about a stuck vehicle that was blocking the trail...turns out they came upon this guy...turned around and left him. He was alone at 13,000 ft, he had been stuck for 4 hours. He tried to cross a snow field covering a shelve road. He had slid completely off the road... Here's a video of the recovery... Click the HD button to get a much better video

http://youtu.be/eMtBZ7swFlA
    Last edited by errinjan; 07-13-2014, 07:40 AM.
    sigpicerrinjan 99 TJ to much to list....

Link no worky.....................but I can't believe they just left the dude. That's terrible trail etiquette and down right wrong.
    -Mike B-
    '01 XJ Sport
    '11KK Limited

Comment

Link is "worky" now...sorry

Youtube has been giving me fits on quality...originally just linked to my facebook...oops

Comment

WOW! when the driver rear comes up..........just , wow!
        -Mike B-
        '01 XJ Sport
        '11KK Limited

Comment

It was nuts...not sure what he was thinking. None of our group would have even remotely considered crossing that snow field. It was a pleasure to work with Todd and Brian. Every aspect was discussed and unanimously agreed upon.

I really believe we were more concerned about his dilemma than he was.

Hey, he bought us lunch at a historic Leadville saloon... It makes for a great story

Comment

Crazy stuff. We will be in Breckenridge next week and have been up to Leadville also. Absolutely beautiful up there. FWIW, next time you are in Leadville adn want Mexican food, I suggest Casa Blanca...it was good :)

John
            1997 Cherokee, 3", 32" MT's, and too many lights.. :)

Always Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by FreemansXJ View Post
              Crazy stuff. We will be in Breckenridge next week and have been up to Leadville also. Absolutely beautiful up there. FWIW, next time you are in Leadville adn want Mexican food, I suggest Casa Blanca...it was good :)

John
              Are you planning on running any trails while out there? If so I'd be very interested in trail conditions as we'll be in the area (Keystone side) in a few weeks for some mountain wheelin.
              -Mike B-
              '01 XJ Sport
              '11KK Limited

Comment

Originally posted by JeepN4kc View Post
                Are you planning on running any trails while out there? If so I'd be very interested in trail conditions as we'll be in the area (Keystone side) in a few weeks for some mountain wheelin.
                I am thinking about renting a Jeep for a day and going on a few trails. I will let you know what we do.

John

Always Smilin'

Comment

if you need a guide or just some local knowledge let me know...lots of great stuff in the area. I would however stay below 12,000ft. We still have lots of snow on top.

Comment

If that's on Mosquito, I know exactly where that's at! Glad you guys stopped to help!

Wally

Comment

He was walking when we found him. We were sitting at the sign on the top of the pass. Guy must of had elephant lungs, he had walked about a half a mile to 13,000 ft...makes me huff and puff just thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by errinjan View Post
                        if you need a guide or just some local knowledge let me know...lots of great stuff in the area. I would however stay below 12,000ft. We still have lots of snow on top.
                        Honestly, we'd love to have another rig with us. Especially someone from the area.

Trails we've done:

Keystone Gulch
                        Chihuahua Gulch
                        Santa Fe Peak
                        Webster Pass
                        Handcart Gulch
                        Red Cone
                        Radical Hill
                        Deer Creek/Saints John
                        Middle/North Forks Swan
                        Girabaldi Gulch ^^^ connects?

Heard alot about the Golden horseshoe system just over on the Breck side. Georgia and Boreas Passes, Hunkidori Mine, all the other spurs off of Peru Creek, Brewery and Humbug Hills.......etc., etc - all other things we'd like to look into.

Also heard of all the snow so not sure what's gonna be doable (we'll be there first week Aug.)

What are some recommended trails? What are you doin first week of Aug? ;)
                        -Mike B-
                        '01 XJ Sport
                        '11KK Limited

Comment

Boreas is very scenic but we took our mini van over it without any issues at all. I'm good for the first week of August. The road that accesses Deer Creek and Webster Pass is closed last I heard...I can double check that..they had a bridge washout in May. A friend of mine just posted a video of McAllister Gulch/Ptarmigan Pass (no link to share) which is south of Minturn on 24 hwy. It looked awesome with lots of water crossings. I'll shoot you a message with my contact info

Comment

I cannot wait to take a Jeep out there, especially considering I am out there every other year. Any suggestions on Jeep rental places near Breckenridge?

John

Always Smilin'

Comment

@ errinjan

So, I was tracking those trails via TrailDamage and Google earth. That loop does look pretty awesome! Looks to be about a 30 minute drive, give or take, from Dillon over to the entrance of Shrine Pass Rd.

Take that up to Ptarmigan, run the loop with McCallister, back down Shrine Pass and out..........:think:

I like this idea.
                              -Mike B-
                              '01 XJ Sport
                              '11KK Limited

Comment

Working...
                              X