No announcement yet.

Mosquito Pass near Leadville CO

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeep Rentals in the area are slim...the only one I know if is http://www.mountainhighrentals.com/home/index.php. There is really a void in this area in that regard. I've kind of played with the idea of renting out mine. It would be more doable if I had a recovery vehicle.

Ptarmigan looks awesome to me, a friend posted a POV of it on Facebook (his privacy settings won't allpow me to share it)
    sigpicerrinjan 99 TJ to much to list....

Comment

There are Jeep Rentals in Buena Vista and Salida. Both town rent stockers and built Jeeps. Either one would do fine on Mosquito Pass. I have driven a stock Toyota Tacoma in both directions without any issues.

Its a about an hour drive from Buena Vista to Leadville.

There might be some closer Jeep Rentals, maybe in Breckinridge or Frisco? Not sure however?

Wally

Comment

If there is a rental place in Buena I would definitely hit Chinamen's Gulch. Mosquito had nothing technical that we crossed. Birdseye might be a stretch for a stocker. It's doable, but a few scrapes are possible.
        sigpicerrinjan 99 TJ to much to list....

Comment

Buena Vista is right at the foot of Cottonwood Pass, which heads over to Taylor Lake and then there is the Hancock loop through Saint Elmos. Between the two of those places, there is quite a bit of ORV traffic and rentals.

On 50 highway going through Salida there are two places that I can think of the top of my head that rent Jeeps. The gas station place has a couple of lifted and locked Jeep for rent, kind of like you might see in Moab.

I have driven Chinaman's Gulch in both directions in a stock Tacoma as well, but it was a handful. LOL I stayed way right going up and around the Whale's Tail! I wished to have the oppertunity to wheel my CJ7 on Chinaman's, but last year I replaced the fuel pump, the crank position sensor for the MPFI, and started to have issues with vapor lock, thus I got half way up Hancock and had to turn around or face walking back to town. So I chose to turn around instead of walking. LOL Maybe next year?

I would really like to do Iron Chest too! Ended up walking that trail on the same trip because the Jeep was broke! I really wanted to wheel that trail!

Wally

Wally

Comment

Working...
          X