1993 ZJ running hot with AC on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 ZJ running hot with AC on

1993 ZJ, 4.0. As soon as I turn the AC on the temp gauge starts climbing. It hasn't over heated yet but I'm afraid this summer when the temps are up it will. It does have an aftermarket front bumper and winch. Its runs just fine with the AC off. I'm thinking the fan clutch might be weak and can't keep up the air flow with the load of the AC. Any other suggestions?

Pics of the jeep here: http://www.kcjeepclub.org/forum/show...-to-me-1993-ZJ

How hot is it getting? It's normal to run a little hotter with the a/c on because there's more load, but I'm guessing you've had this one a while so you know what normal temp with or without a/c would be.

I'd start with the basics - replace the thermostat, make sure you've got a good 50/50 mix of coolant, and make sure there's no air bubbles in the system.

I'd also check to see how the fan is blowing with vs. without a/c - if there's no difference, the odds are against the fan clutch being bad.

Also - have you had the a/c professionally charged and had them add an oil charge? If the compressor is working harder because it needs lube, that could be a contributing factor.
    --
    It's not a bad road filled with potholes and broken pavement, it's just Jeep-friendly.

Comment

fan clutch, same thing was happening in my tj.

Comment

could also have gunk clogging the ac condenser... switch to V8 fan clutch either way...makes a big difference.
        "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
        Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

Ive cleaned out the condenser and radiator, it helped a little. The fan clutch seems weak so I'm going to replace it. Does the V8 clutch bolt right in?

Comment

yes......
            "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
            Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

Working...
            X