Vibration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibration

91 YJ has bad vibration when front drive shaft connected. Opinions on drive shaft or gears?

Local mechanic thinks gears but looking for more opinions before buying new.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Dennis! Long time no post!

Did you convert to TJ style shafts? If so, the driveshaft spins all the time and YJ shafts will vibrate. It gets worse after a while and the shaft is probably due for a rebuild. I've seen YJ shafts wear out at the splines and need new splines and slip yokes.

If you have the factory 2-piece shafts then it must only vibrate in 4wd? My guess would be the same issue.

Grab the driveshaft near the splines as check for lateral movement. If you can wiggle it that's probably the issue.

Comment

to connect front drive shaft means you put it in 4 wheel drive, were you on a slick surface or a hard surface ? Because unless you have a 242 transfercase, you want slick , like snow, dirt, mud etc.

or it could be bad U-Joints even in 2 wheel drive ! if connect means it wasn't on vehicle until you bolted / connected it :) ;)
      Last edited by spunebil; 06-06-2014, 11:15 AM.
      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Front end has super 30 kit. No play in drive shaft and I replaced u joints... It vibrates in 2 or 4wd only stops when i disconnect shaft. I think I'm going to borrow a shaft to see if that is the issue before diving into the gears. Thanks for information.

Comment

Do you still have the 2pc inner passenger shaft with the disconnect or do you now have a 1pc inner shaft? The disconnect would be removed for that configuration.

When YJ is in 2wd, the front ds will rotate as a speed relative to the viscous pressure of the fluid in the diff and tcase. The disconnect would slide the sleeve off the outer axle portion (since its hard linked to the outer stub) and this result in no input of the front ds.

MTL, you're going to have to get the front ds rebuilt (assuming all stock and never maintained) and balanced.
          Mike
          Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Are you locked up front as well?

Comment

I just thot of something..... My YJ had a bad wobble / vibration from like 45 mph and above ! .... it turned out to be a bent front Drive shaft ! ... I replaced drive shaft ( with a woody :)) and no more vibration ! ;) ... ya might want to check it out ! :)
              I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
              it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
              Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Working...
              X