Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd Knock...

Hey guys,
    I have a 95 XJ with an AX15 trans. & stock(I think) drivetrain.. I say that because the pre- previous owner has done a little work to it. I'm on a 5" lift & every time I go into 4wd, I get a knock somewhere that's repeditive, and goes faster in rhythm as I accelerate.. its also very loud when I turn, and it feels like the front end gets really bound up. Theres no missing teeth or anything like that & I feel the knock in the transfer case shifter mostly.

I've been told I could possibly have 2 different gear ratios or my t0case chain could be loose.
    Anyone have any ideas or have had the same problem?

put it on jack stands, put it in low, and manually turn drive shaft. count revolutions of front and rear shafts. they should be same ! ;)
    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Take a look at your steering axle joints (ujoints). Take a screwdriver and press against the knuckle to see if you can lift the axle and see movement in the joint. Next check is the front ds. See if the u-joint bolts are in the cv at the tcase output and at the front axle yoke. Take the screwdriver and put between joint and yoke and see if you can move it.

Sounds like you have a bad ujoint in 4wd compared to 2wd. Front ds is disconnected in 2wd.

You should expect some kind of binding when in 4wd. You are mechanically connecting the front and rear ds together. They will be rotating at the same speed. When you turn, all 4 tires follow a different path in the turn and thus have different rotating speeds. Since the ds's are tied together, something had to give, whether its traction or the mechanical bind.

If all checks out, I would investigate into the tcase. Try draining and refilling the tcase. When draining, check the condition of the fluid. If silvery metallic, there could be an internal issue. I can't tell you what 'can' be wrong, but silver content represents internal issue.
      You'll have to pull the tcase and investigate further.
      Mike
      Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Nice! Thank you Jagular and Spunebil for the tips! Ill get goin on the diagnostics this weekend & let u know

Comment

1st question to ask when diagnosing rotational noises is what speed is it? Meaning, is it driveshaft speed or tire speed. The driveshafts are spinning at least three times faster than the tires so at low speeds does it seem to be a really fast noise like the driveshafts or slow noise like the tires. This will help you determine where to start looking .
          4x4LAND.com
          Mike
          Knowledge is priceless

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4 LAND View Post
            1st question to ask when diagnosing rotational noises is what speed is it? Meaning, is it driveshaft speed or tire speed. The driveshafts are spinning at least three times faster than the tires so at low speeds does it seem to be a really fast noise like the driveshafts or slow noise like the tires. This will help you determine where to start looking .
            That's a good point. Its definitely driveshaft-related being that it starts out slow, but as I speed up, the knock does too. Noticeably faster that the tire rotation speed too..
            It seems like the D30 & 8.25 came out with a TON of different gear ratios!!! lol like, could it be possible that there could be sayyyy, 3.05s in one and 3.08s in the other?

Comment

I bet ya its the transfer case chain. Mine had stretched so much it would do that in 4wd

Comment

Hmmm. It very well could be, but I recently got under there with a pry bar & tugged around on the frnt driveshaft. The u-joint knuckle at the T-case is jiggling :D so im HOLOOPPPINNNNG its just loose u-joints. we'll find out today!!! lol

Comment

If you don't have full-time 4wd, you can remove the front ds from the front axle and tie it up out of the way. Till you can get it replaced. Or remove it totally. Its tight up against the tcase, but there is room to get small wrenches in there.
                  Mike
                  Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Working...
                  X