MO DOT is screwing with me and my new windshield frame need legal help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MO DOT is screwing with me and my new windshield frame need legal help

okay I have a 1988 y j which I have replace the old rusted out windshield frame on
    now MO DOT is telling me that I cannot remove the old vin number from the old windshield frame to put on the new windshield frame instead I have to file for a new title and go through a bunch a legal junk to get my jeep back on the road again has anyone else ever had this problem I thought that on the Jeep that the windshield badge was just a courtesy badge so that they didn't have the pop the hood and look at the firewall to check the vin everytime ..

someone with experience please help me ..

No, that is not a courtesy VIN plate, that is what is known as the public VIN plate. Each vehicle made, since sometime in the 1970s, I think, has too have so many VIN numbers attached to it, some of which are hidden and some that can be seen easily. Anytime a cop comes across a vehicle with 2 different VINs, it raises a lot of red flags, and in a lot of cases, the vehicle is impounded until they can get it sorted out, and make sure that the vehicle and parts are not stolen. The best thing to do is to call the Highway Patrol and talk to them. Next time, do not call MoDOT, as they have nothing to do with vehicle registration. You need to call the Department of Revenue or the Highway Patrol.
    Bill T.

Comment

BBTJ is right - I asked my father (a 30+ year LEO). The windshield VIN can't be tampered with. Call the Highway Patrol and find out what to do in this situation.
      --
      It's not a bad road filled with potholes and broken pavement, it's just Jeep-friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by cwaage View Post
        BBTJ is right - I asked my father (a 30+ year LEO). The windshield VIN can't be tampered with. Call the Highway Patrol and find out what to do in this situation.
        What department is he with?
        Bill T.

Comment

I have a 89 yj, but vin plate is on dash, not windershield frame ! ..... did design change from 88 to 89 ? Or did you replace more than windershield frame ?
          I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
          it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
          Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

okay I made a mistake it was not MO DOT it was Missouri Highway Patrol the first person I talk to on a different subject seems very knowledgeable and knew jeeps quite well the second person when I callealld back with questions regarding the VIN plate didn't give me much confidence in their knowledgea bout anything really for I had to explain to them everything the person before them had told me and they really didn't understand how it was even possible to remove a windshield frame from a Jeep :-/
            now surely someone out there has replaced a windshield frame on a Jeep with a new windshield frame it's not one from another vehicle it's a brand new out of the box order from a catalog windshield frame

I would just like to move the vin plate from the old rusted out frame to the new one that is going back on my Jeep all the VIN numbers will match and from the conversation I had with the earlier patrolman I found out that is legal to drive a Jeep without even having a windshield frame it will even pass inspection you just have to have a motorcycle sticker instead of a windshield sticker I kid you not ..

PS my 1974 CJ 5 has no VIN plate on the windshield frame it never has

Comment

Dealerships amd body shoppers replace windshield frames all the time. The jeep has multiple VINS on it. The best thing you can do is ask a dealership body shop what they do and "not" a private small shop as they may do a great job but not follow all the rules.

Now with that being stated documention and pictures are ypur friend and- I repeat and prior to the replacement of the windshield frame go to the highway patrol and speak to a officer and "not" the base inspector that just verifies. Go up the food chain if needed. They will clearly help and document with paperwork any midifucations.

Now with that being stated in my opinion you are not detaching the VIN plate from the bracket with those special Chrysler rivets- You are detaching the bracket from the windshield frame and replacing. I would ask that question and show. If they wouldn't budge or not be helpful then ask what the dealerships do when replacing. They may even still have the factory rivets and worth the money to have them do it and place the legality on them.

Comment

We used to be able to call the highway patrol and they would watch us swap the vin plates and they would give us the rivets to put them on. They would then sign off on it. This was 15-20 years ago though.
                Some people just need to get over themselves.

Comment

define windershield frame........ cuz my vin is not attatched to windershield ! I drive with windershield folded down at times, and VIN plate is not attatched to it !
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

The VIN plate is attached to the grey piece of metal
                    Attached Files

Comment

the bent piece of sheet metal is riveted on ! just rivet it to new frame ! .....geez it aint that hard to do ! ..... and don't mention doing it either ! ;)
                      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

I'd drive it down to the inspection station with the old windshield on, and the new one in the trunk, and have them tell you what to do. It should be as simple as moving the plate while they watch like Ray suggested, I would think. They can also verify that the VIN on the rusty windshield matches the others on the vehicle. I found one underneath my driver's seat this week that I didn't know I had. They're all over the place, and I think it's better that they match! :)

Comment

Leave the VIN tag on that plate. Rivet that plate onto the new windshield. Paint it all whatever color you want. Never worry about it again.

The only rivets that really matter are the ones that typically hold the tag onto whatever they are attached to. Those rivets need to be left alone. I once went to swap all of my tan interior for gray. On a TJ the tag is riveted to the plastic dash, not even the metal sub-frame. I chose to buy plastic dye and paint it agate gray to match factory DC gray.

If you feel the persistent need to get MHP involved, they will give you a new vin tag in the door frame and flag your title as such. It won't be classified as a Salvage or Rebuild, but it sure sounds harder to sell to me.

Comment

will my thoughts was to just pop the old rivets of the mounting plate and re rivet the mounting plate the thing is the rivets on the VIN tag and the rivets on the VIN tag place are those little hexagon specials you know those official looking rivets that you just can't buy at the store ..

well today I'm going to throw both the old windshield and the new windshield in the back of a car find a state trooper and ask him ..

Comment

I want to do something similar. Kansas told me to put my replacement dash in an bring the original dash. They would do what they need to then I replace VIN on replacement with what not they provide.

Comment

Working...
                              X