+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What Ace's "Helpful Hardware Man" doesn't have?

Small world Umbra! I'm from Trenton! Graduated THS in 1994, so my guess is I'm a bit older than you. Welcome to the club!
    N*O*B*S

Shortcut

Quote Originally Posted by TommyG View Post
    Small world Umbra! I'm from Trenton! Graduated THS in 1994, so my guess is I'm a bit older than you. Welcome to the club!
    Small world indeed! I'm actually just a tad older.

I was a member of the class of '90 from Macon. Ruth and I moved to Trenton in '91 right after she graduated from Atlanta high school (10 miles north of Macon).
    Heath

2014 JKU Rubicon X Package

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra Vipera View Post
    Small world indeed! I'm actually just a tad older.

I was a member of the class of '90 from Macon. Ruth and I moved to Trenton in '91 right after she graduated from Atlanta high school (10 miles north of Macon).
    Finally! Everyone I meet from back home is usually younger than me. My guess is we have some common connections since most of my friends were older than me.
    N*O*B*S

Shortcut

2012 JK stock suspension bolts autopsy

2012 JK stock suspension bolts autopsy photo from top to bottom:
    Front lower control arm & Rear upper control arm, stock M14 should be 9/16” (stock 5/8” shoulder)
    Front upper control arm, stock M12 is correct (stock no shoulder)
    Front track bar frame side, stock M14 is correct (stock no shoulder)
    Front track bar axle side & Rear track bar, stock M14 should be 9/16” (stock no shoulder)
    Rear lower control arm, stock M14 should be 9/16” (stock 1/4” shoulder)

The .0114 difference between M14 & 9/16” is just a bit more than 1/128” but if you put a 9/16” nut on a M14 bolt you can feel the “slop.” Notice the bolts that have some shoulder have interesting wear indications. Looking at original MOPAR parts these suspension bolts see duty in a number of other applications. The incorrect shoulder length (threads through a bushing?) and incorrect bolt size is obviously for manufactures cost savings not to mention our reverse engineering enjoyment.

Bottom line, the difference after installing the corrected hardware is noticeable. Daily driving, I’ll use the word again; I do not feel the “slop” & several public roadways that had initiated death wobble in the past were driven w/o issue. It might not solve all your front end drivability issues or mine for that matter; have to wheel and drive home for a more thorough test but I don't regret installing the corrected hardware.
    Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by TommyG View Post
    Finally! Everyone I meet from back home is usually younger than me. My guess is we have some common connections since most of my friends were older than me.
    I wouldn't doubt it. In fact you probably saw me a few times. When you were in high school I would've been working at Hardees.
    Heath

2014 JKU Rubicon X Package

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra Vipera View Post
    I wouldn't doubt it. In fact you probably saw me a few times. When you were in high school I would've been working at Hardees.
    Ha! I worked there for a summer in 1992!
    N*O*B*S

Shortcut

+ Reply to Thread