No announcement yet.

Starting up my first Jeep build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the motor cleaned up, and also figured out what my axle gearing is as well as finished putting in new inserts for the transmission mounts. I crunched some numbers, and am probably going to keep the AX-15 5 speed and the np231, but sell the 4.0 and go with a LS1 5.3L from a salvage yard. Also I found out that the current front axle is 4.10 but the full set I have are 3.55. So I am going to do the ford 8.8 since I have found some for a decent price and keep with the 4.10.

Comment

Good news. The AX15 should hold up behind the LS if you're good to it. Mine is sitting behind a 5.9 Magnum and I'm hoping it lasts. I have less power, but am pretty sure I'm harder on my stuff than about anyone out there. ;-)

I agree with your axle plans. Get some TJ shafts for the YJ front axle though. You'll get a one-piece inner passenger shaft and bigger u-joints. They sell conversion kits, but it's not that hard to figure out really. Just need a block off plate for the disconnect housing, and the appropriate passenger side seal. I did the same thing on my old YJ years ago, but can't recall the specific part info for the seal.

Comment

Heading to a smaller junkyard tommorrow to see what they have. They don't seem to be in the car-parts system, and it is where the Jeep came from and also I have gotten axles from them before for another project for around $100. Also going to see if they have any 5.3 engines and parts. Kinda want to keep the AX-15 but it seems that trying to keep it could almost cost as much as getting 4l60e or 4l80e. Also seems like everyone that does a 5.3 swap goes automatic or they buy everything from Novak which seems to cost a fortune. I was hoping to keep this around $1500 but thinking $2000 if not $2500 might be more realistic. I definately need to find out what matches up good between the parts.

Comment

I had engine in place and fabed new motor mounts while it sat there ! I figured it easier than trying to figure out mathamatically ! .....call me lazy ! ......actually.....I am ! :)
          I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
          it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
          Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

Often there is nothing wrong with being lazy. I will probably end up buying the Novak motor mounting perch kit to make it easier on myself. From my research I am going to try and get a 5.3L from a truck 4x4, and also a transmission too. Then go with the hybrid transfer case using the 231C out of something like an S10 and a 231J out of a mid 90's XJ. I have to look at my gauge cluster to make sure it is electronic gauges. The transfer case I have is from a late 80's XJ so I want to make sure I have the right pick up for the speedometer. At least from what my research has lead me. I like the Art Carr shifter so that will be the way I am going to go for that.

Hoping to get most of the major components this week, so I can make progress. It is odd cause technically I have a Jeep but it is in 3 places. I have the frame, and a set of rolling axles plus the 4.0 drive train at my house. Seats and interior are at another house, and all the body parts are still at the other guys garage. Going to have the body brought over when I get the drivetrain ready to install.

Comment

So where do you keep Brass pole ?
              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Only worked at one department with a brass pole.

Heading out tommorrow to go and get a complete liftout motor, and a transmission. Going to have a XJ 4.0 motor, ax15 transmission, up for sale, xj radiator, yj radiator, and I think I have a 4.0 wiring harness for a yj too. Ordering the motor perches tonight.

Comment

I picked up the engine and transmission today, along with a 231C out of a 90 S10. Since I am going to have to change my driveshafts anyway since the ones I have are from a XJ, can I go and pick up a S10 driveshaft and have the local machine shop, make a hybrid driveshaft instead of doing the hybrid transfer case. Then go with a aftermarket speedo, or one of the kits, to convert the signal to what I need?

Comment

S 10 transfer case has a jeepbolt pattern ?......I always thot they different ! ........learn something new everyday ! :)
                    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

I found a thread somewhere today that stated that the Chevy 231 has the same output spline as the jeep 231. I am going to check in the morning when I get off of work. I got the 231C for $100 so it is worth a shot. If I can get a tail end for the 4l60E that will take me to that 5 bolt pattern on the 231C then I think I should be good. Just my thought, since I haven't heard much from others on it, even on just the regular jeep forum. There are a couple on ebay so I am going to try it and see. I am trying to figure out the exhaust manifolds too, since the truck ones won't work. I have seen others used them from a C6, which is a 6.0 LS engine, and I am hoping that the LS3 manifolds will work, since I found a set for a decent price, but just was hoping to hear from someone on LS1tech site. So far pretty quiet there other than the guy who said read the one thread, which I did, and only lists saying they used a C6 header. Looking at it this is definately a bigger project than I anticipated.

Comment

I been thinking of getting a v8 (sbc) 4 wd pick up and just swapping engine, tranny, and tc into jeep ! :)
                        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

The drive shaft end from the Jeep XJ I had slid right into the S-10 transfer case, and since I had to get the drive shaft cut anyway, I am just going to stick with the S-10 NP231C transfer case. I ordered the 6 to 5 bolt tail housing for the 4l60e transmission so they bolt right together. Also found out that my speedo and tac are missing from th yj, so I have no choice but to go aftermarket. Also got a ford 8.8 for around $100 and alot of sweat so the days I am off I will be cutting that up, and moving my perchs.

Comment

I have a 8.8 with discs back aft, 4.10 gears and it works great, some day I will even hook up emergency brake ! ;)
                            Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

I pulled this one with everything on it parking brake cables and all. Brake lines look great, and even the bolts came loose easily. Was hoping for one with a limited slip but just wasn't able to find one, though I know where there is one that is a limited slip, and the brakes and everything is missing, so I might just see if I can get the carrier from them. No current plans on putting a locker on this, way out of my price range at this point. Going to spend this week getting the axle ready to go in. Should have my adapter for the transmission to transfer case, and new exhaust manifolds by the end of the week as well as the new motor mounts.

Comment

Mine is limited slip, but want to go locker, so would need an open carrier !
                                Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Working...
                                X