Starting up my first Jeep build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting up my first Jeep build

I am about to start my first Jeep build and I know I am going to tech help as well as trying to track down some missing parts. Just waiting for it to get to my house. It is a 94 YJ that I found in a junkyard a couple years ago, and let one of the young guys at work take a shot at it first. He never got around to building it up, so I bought it off of him. It had a 2.5l that was blown, and the junkyard stripped parts off of it. Pretty much the whole drivetrain, and steering column. We found a steering column for it though. The other guy pulled a 4.0l out of a XJ that he had rebuilt around 40k ago and the rest of the drivetrain. I know I need to find a transmission crossmember, and need to work something out for the motor mounts. First I want to get it up and running as a runner, and then build towards a general trail rig. I appreciate any and all help.

John
    Last edited by Johnfire; 05-31-2013, 09:46 AM.

Skip the 4.0l. It takes a lot of work to make it work right. Wire harness is not plug-n-play, let alone the gauges, and other engine components. If you are going to do that much work, better look at install kits for GM and Ford motors into a YJ. THen don't forget, you really are not done with a running driveline. THe newer heavier driveline will shred the axles. So you'll have to upgrade those. Luckily, the 8.8 from a 95-01 Explorer is a great cheap alternative axle for the YJ. Also, if you can get the v8 explorer, you can swap the 5.0l roller engine for a wealth of benefits.
    Search other Jeep forums out there that relate to your engine swap.

Good luck.
    Mike
    Jagular7

Lnxa, KS

Comment

Agree with Mike on the 4.0. Those I know who have done it weren't happy given the amount of work and $$ involved. However, if you must....

Buy new motor mounts for a 4.0 if you can. They weld forward of the originals I think. They aren't really that complex, so of you can weld its probably just easier to build them.

Don't buy a crossmember. They bend and hang down. Since you've got it apart just build a flush one using 1/4" plate and be done with it. Cost will be similar and clearance will be a huge benefit. May require a 1" body lift and 1" motor mount lift, but those are pretty cheapens the effective clearance is similar to adding 5" in tire diameter.

While you have it apart put a slip yoke eliminator in the transfer case and build a double cardan rear driveshaft. You'll do it eventually anyway, so may as well do it now.

Comment

I definately appreciate the advice. I may go with a bigger engine down the road, but from everything I looked at I would have to scrap the whole drivetrain I have including axles to go with anything bigger than what would have come stock in these motor wise. Not wanting to really get into the $$$$ of doing all of that at this point. Unless I could find everything I need to make the full change on the motor, transmission and the rest of the drive for less than $1500. Especially since I have a whole drivetrain that came with this from the XJ the guy had.

I just got the frame and axles to the house tonight so sunday I will get to look at things more. Welding isn't too much of a problem, though it might not look pretty. I have seen some nice transmission crossmember fab jobs, but since I don't even have a stock one I don't have anything to base building one from or where to drill the holes for the mounts. Kinda where I was hoping to get a stock one, and then even if it is kinda crappy, build a new one from there. He has a 1" body lift to go with it so that should help. Also a wrangler 4.0 wiring harness and the one that came with the XJ. I will look into what it will take for the slip yoke eliminator and the double cardan driveshaft. My first goal is to make it drivable. I don't mind having projects but can't just have it sit for months. Though I am sure it will be apart many times over the years, especially if I end up back in the northeast.

Comment

Since you basically have a clean slate to start with, all you really need to do is locate the engine appropriately. You should be able to find out where YJ motor mounts are located and the height of the engine relative to the frame rails. From here you just assemble the whole package and center the t-case on the skid with the engine in its mounts.

Comment

That definately helps, thank you.

Comment

Where abouts in northeast ?
              I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
              it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
              Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

I am from Pottsville, Pa, and I may end up back there soon. Some really nice trails up that way with the coal company lands where they lease permits to ride on their trails or there is Rausch Creek off road park there too. I used to have an 86 military K-5 blazer and stock I could do most trails. So not really looking to lift it more than the 1 inch body lift and probably end up running 33 inch tires.

Comment

Grew up in Connetticut and Maine, with short stint up in saratogo springs, Ny ;)
                  Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

My sister-in-law lives in Shoemakersville, Pa, we were just there last week. You live in Yuengling country. I have been through the brewery before and love the beer!

Comment

Yep, grew up with the brewery in town, and my sister was classmates with one of the Yuengling girls.

Wondering if anyone has the measurements for where the motor mounts sit for the 4.0l I plan on cutting the old ones out tommorrow, and have enough 1/4" plate that I can cut up and make the new ones with.

Comment

If it was me, I would drop engine in with motor mounts attached and weld them once engine was were I wanted it ! ( well, I tack welded, then unbolted engine from them before full penn weld )
                        Thats how I installed 396 in me 66 C-10 ! ;) I moved it forward 2" and even made me own solid engine mounts ! :) .......anywhos, thats how I would do it !
                        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

I think I am going to definately have to make the new motor mount. I can't find anyone that sells them anymore. Also read one article that states you can re-use one of them and the other one needs the platform extended. So far I have the motor mounts cut out, I am making new transmission skid plate inserts. The old ones seem pretty rusted out, so I am cutting them out, using a piece of 3/16" plate, and welding new nuts on the back of them. Then welding them back into place making sure to keep the original hole alignment so I can still use stock or some sort of aftermarket plate incase I can't make my own. I would rather just make my own, but I know there is an angled section on it, and I want to make sure that is right. If I had a stock one I could use it to help lign up the motor as well. Also took all of my shocks off and started looking up my axles. When we had hunted for axles for the previous guy that had this we found a stock set. He only put the rear one in. I am having a harder time finding the ratio on this ones original front axle. So I might just swap the other axle in to make sure they are a good set. The rear is a Dana 35 with 3.55 gearing according to dana's website. Even though I have no plans on lifting it beyond the 1" body lift, eventually I will do an axle swap. Well hopefull I will get some pictures up here, and I am hoping to get the engine to the house Tuesday when I get off of work so I can start prepping that.

Comment

Sounds like a big project. Can't wait to see it completed and out on the trails :)

John
                            1997 Cherokee, 3", 32" MT's, and too many lights.. :)

Always Smilin'

Comment

The funny thing is it will be kinda stock initially but functioning and running are kinda priority right now and low cost. Other upgrades will come later since right now it is a jeep in 3 different locations, all in parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X