Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

track bar bracket rebuild/repair, inexpensive replacement or aftermarket stock 94 zj

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• track bar bracket rebuild/repair, inexpensive replacement or aftermarket stock 94 zj

I have a 94 ZJ 5.2 with 240k on it now. The Jeep really wants to rest but i keep it around for the snow. I have major slop in the steering and know that most of it is from the upper track bar bracket. The bolt hole is wollered out and needs to be replaced. this issue causes me to not drive the Jeep any more than i have to and i would like to drive it a little more. i have no plans in lifting it.

A factory bracket, if i can even get one is more than $250.
    or
    Aftermarket ones may cost the same but it looks like the design is way better.

Questions:
    Is there an option that is less expensive that can be accomplished with my current hardware just to get some more life out of it.

or

Will the aftermarket ones work on a ZJ that has not been lifted at all
    and
    If i were to go with an aftermarket one, what kind of modifications do i have to do to the lower bracket on the axle?

or

can the current one be rebuilt

thanks,
    dustin

i dont see how, but if the upper bracket is bad, a junk yard should have one cheap. if its the lower bracket that is wollered out, its fixable. if the track bar itself is bad a junk yard will have them or an after market with 0 to 2,3 or 4 lift will work. i will have to look, but i might still have the stock one from my 96 zj, but it will be awhile before i get back down to the shop.
    Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

Thanks Wes. It is the upper that is bad. There's a guy on nagc that claims to have a real good upper bracket for $50 shipped but I'd like to find one local if I can. The lower seems to be fine. I'm going to give it about a week before pulling the trigger on it. Thanks for the info on the aftermarket one also. If I understand you right, the ones for up to inch life should work fine on my stock zj.

Comment

a 0 to 3 inch lift track bar will work, the brackets i've seen move the track bar mount location forward and down, so probably will not work on a stock setup.

the stock track bar is a tie rod end style, a tapered stud with a castle nut, how did the hole get enlarged in the upper mount?

grands are fairly common in most junk yards, it would be cheaper and faster to source one local.
        Wes

Comment

The jeep has 250k miles on it. I think its just old age and maybe weak design. I don't think the jeep was roughed up. It was just typical use as far as I know.

Comment

I had a wallered out trackbar bracket on my TJ. 4x4 Land welded a couple grade 8 nuts to the bracket for me, and fixed it right up. Much easier than replacing the entire bracket....

Comment

rjh,

Did they do that for an aftermarket track bar or the OEM track bar? I'm having a hard time picturing it in my mind.

Comment

the bar doesn't matter.... the part that's wallowed out is the mount, either on the frame or axle end. Mine was on the axle end.... you just hold a grade 8 washer over the holes and weld around the outside, then paint. then you can slip the bolt back through and it will make contact with the washers, instead of sliding around the wallowed out hole in the original bracket.....

Comment

Gotcha do they can weld the washers onto the upper track bar bracket the same as the lower, as far as you know?

Comment

You can't weld the washer on the frame end because it uses a tapered fit just like a tie rod end. If the mount is worn then no amount of washers will hold it tight.

Comment

Thanks TommyG. I will search for a good used one.

Comment

Ah. I've got the RE track bar relocation piece on there; we drilled out the frame and mounted it, which uses a straight bolt. You could do something similar I'd bet....

Comment

he would have to switch to a aftermarket track bar then.
                          Wes

Comment

Thank you for the info. I will be on the search for a good used upper bracket. I suppose since I'm going to be changing that I should change the track bar itself too, right?

Comment

Originally posted by stuckagain View Post
                              Thank you for the info. I will be on the search for a good used upper bracket. I suppose since I'm going to be changing that I should change the track bar itself too, right?
                              might as well, it should not cost that much.
                              Wes

Comment

Working...
                              X