• Would you buy a salvage title TJ?

Found a 2004 Red with black soft top prior salvage TJ
    4cy
    5spd
    ac

for 6k

I really want to jump on it

not a 4cyl fan but its going to just be a driver

I would find out why it's a salvage title.....being an 04, you'd think insurance wouldn't total it unless the frame is damaged. If frame is fine and it runs and drives good, then maybe. You could always get a good title down the road if it all turns out good.
    "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
    Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

stolen/minor body damage (fender, grill, bumper)

Comment

my question would be.....what does it take to get a Clear title so you can tag it ?
        or is that even possible with a salvage title ?
        I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
        it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
        Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

seems weird that they'd total it for that. But who knows anymore! If thats it.....then might not be a bad deal. Like I said...if you wanted to resell in future you could always get the regular title to increase the value. I would check the kbb vaule to see if you're getting a decent deal. If you are and it looks/runs good, then go for it. The only down side to a salvage title is resale value or if you wreck it, getting your insurance to pay you enough.
          "I've only been a Jeep owner a few years, but I'm finding that a Jeep is a lot like a woman. They clean up nice, but they're more fun when they're dirty..."
          Easy livin'--10 jku rubi ;),2012 cummins mega, 95 ZJ

Comment

Did you ever see the big buildup they did last year on Extreme 4x4 with the jeep they got from Davey's? The only thing wrong with it was the back passenger corner of the tub was bashed - the insurance totaled it out because of that.... sometimes a "little" body damage is enough for them to total them out anymore....

Comment

I have been driving my salvage titled TJ for over 8 years and have put over 90k on it. It had a hood, fender and bumper put on it along with a little work on the rear quarter. I have had several salvage titled vehicles in the past. As long as they are properly repaired, it's no big deal. Most of the time the ins companies will total a vehicle if the repair costs are over 40-50% of the vehicles cash value. Not sure of the exact % but close anyway.
              Once a title is branded as salvage it will always read "prior salvage". No way around it that I know of. If it is tagged now there won't ever be any issues. Salvage vehicles have to inspected by KHP and you must now provide proof that you purchased parts to repair it. Like reciepts, craigslist ads and bill of sales so that they know you didn't steal the stuff or a complete vehicle and swap vin tags. I have seen vehicles at salvage auctions with mere scratches or just the columns busted up. Flood vehicles also get salvage titles.
              2006 LJ Rubicon

Comment

my brother bought his salvaged. its a 01 I think. It was layed over on its side, then an auto body guy fixed it up and sold it. Its ran great for him, he's never had any problems with it in the last 4 or so years. and if its JUST a driver, then a 4 banger shouldnt matter, and will help on gas a bit. If you plan on getting bigger tires, you will likely want to get it geared though. 4 bangers become "doggy" quick.

Comment

I've owned a couple salvage title vehicles. I would do it again if the price was right and the damage wasn't too severe. I bought a 2001 integra in 2002 that was totaled because the leather seats had been stolen. Laws on totalling a vehicle vary from state to state. My integra was totalled in delaware. Delaware law said that if 2 major components are stolen from the vehicle, it is totalled...in that case, the two front seats. I believe mo / ks has a time limit on theft recovery. After that time has passed, the owner is paid for the vehicle. Once the owner is paid for the vehicle, it will often carry a salvage title even if no or minor damage was done to it by the time it is finally recovered if ever. That was the case with my commanche. It was stolen and recovered after I was paid for it. I bought it back from the insurance co, but it carried a salvage title after that. I would check with the DMV before you buy it to make sure you can get it properly licensed and see if there are any major hurdles you will have to go through to do so. I'd also check with your insurance co and bank if you want to get a loan on it prior to going very far on the deal. Some companies will not insure prior salvage vehicles and some banks won't loan money on them. Hope that helps. If it all checks out, I'd say go for it!

Comment

It will have to be titled as a "salvage" when you get it titled. I would make sure that VIN numbers match, ie body and frame. If they don't you will have to explain why when you get it inspected at the DMV. My CJ7 didn't have a VIN number attached to the body and that caused me some problems getting a safety inspection and plates.

Wally

Comment

Originally posted by spunebil View Post
                      my question would be.....what does it take to get a Clear title so you can tag it ?
                      or is that even possible with a salvage title ?
                      you can tag and title a salvage title anywhere... kansas it stays a salvage... here in missouri as soon as the Jeep is inspected and not shown to be fixed with stolen parts then you can title it like any other car/trck/van/SUV and the new title usually does not even say salvage...

also keep proof of purchase for ANY AND ALL parts you put on the Jeep and take them with you to get your inspection... If you replace the engine, get a receipt, the transmission, again a receipt, a screw in the trim, receipt for that... the more proof you have the better, even if it is stupid stuff

also keeping purchase pictures and pictures along the way is a good idea as well

I did this when I rebuilt my Texas Salvage titled Yamaha R1, I walked in the have it inspected and the guy about pooped himself when he saw all my receipts... lol, even had receipts for bolts inside the engine that he would never see... he looked at a few and then said, Well... it looks good to me... you think I could take it for a little ride?" I laughed and said no

went to the DMV here in Independence and a week later I had a nice clean and clear title, no salvage at all :)

hope this helps you out
                      Last edited by ericfx1984; 01-20-2011, 05:58 PM.

Comment

The first Jeep I drove was a Salvaged 90 YJ my folks bought in 95 or 96. It was sold in 2004 with absolutely no issues in regard to the front end damage that was done.

I bought my Rubi in '03. It was at an insurance salvage auction in Michigan and only had 12K miles on the odometer. It was 'flooded', aka hydrolocked with two snapped rods and four bent rods. I rebuilt it and am now at 106K miles on the Jeep and still drive it every day.

BTW - My KS title reads "Rebuilt - Previously had flood damage"

Comment

Originally posted by ericfx1984 View Post
                          here in missouri as soon as the Jeep is inspected and not shown to be fixed with stolen parts then you can title it like any other car/trck/van/SUV and the new title usually does not even say salvage...
                          I don't think that is correct. I'm pretty sure in Missouri, once a salvage title, always a salvage title. My brother's RX7 was always stuck with a salvage title even after he made it look like a new car and showed the highway patrol all the recipts and titled and tagged it in his name. The 95 Wrangler my buddy Jimmy has for sale on here and Craigslist has a salvage title. Jimmy among other things is a car dealer in Missouri and even he was looking around for a good body and frame with a clean non salvage title to swap the motor, drive train and interior to so he could get rid of the salvage title'd one.

All that being said, there's nothing wrong with buying a salvage titled car if you plan to fix it, other than you have to keep in mind that some day when you go to sell it, the next buyer will not want to pay as much for a salvage titled car as they would pay for one with a clean title.

Also, unless Missouri has changed them, the Salvage titles are Orange so they're pretty easy to spot.

Comment

It will come back as a prior salvage thats what it will say on the title

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPINKC View Post
                              I have been driving my salvage titled TJ for over 8 years and have put over 90k on it. It had a hood, fender and bumper put on it along with a little work on the rear quarter. I have had several salvage titled vehicles in the past. As long as they are properly repaired, it's no big deal. Most of the time the ins companies will total a vehicle if the repair costs are over 40-50% of the vehicles cash value. Not sure of the exact % but close anyway.
                              Once a title is branded as salvage it will always read "prior salvage". No way around it that I know of. If it is tagged now there won't ever be any issues. Salvage vehicles have to inspected by KHP and you must now provide proof that you purchased parts to repair it. Like reciepts, craigslist ads and bill of sales so that they know you didn't steal the stuff or a complete vehicle and swap vin tags. I have seen vehicles at salvage auctions with mere scratches or just the columns busted up. Flood vehicles also get salvage titles.
                              not true state law in Missouri is 80% of the value ask me how i know i own a body shop deal with them every day

Tommy if your not to far from Kearney bring it up to the shop and we will look it over for u free of charge!

Comment

Working...
                              X