No announcement yet.

Jeep stalls and backfires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it sounds like it would of been cheaper to take it to a shop......and have them fix it.......hmmmmmm what do you think ?
    I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
    Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
    it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
    Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

I think the stealership doesn't know their butt from a hole in the ground and they will charge me hundreds of dollars whether they fix the problem or not. If I want an overpriced oil change or a cool chrome gas filler cover for $145 bucks I'll go there.

They lost all my respect when they voided my friend's wrangler warranty because his transfer case was muddy. I was there, and that was the given reason, straight from the service manager's mouth. They threatened to void mine when they warrantied my catalytic converter on my 2003 wrangler with 6000 miles because they found mud on my brake rotors.

At least this way, if I ever figure out the stalling problem, I won't have to worry about the coil, distributor cap, rotor, plugs, distributor pickup, plug wires, crankshaft position sensor, throttle position sensor, idle air control valve, map sensor, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, injector seals, valve seats, valve seals, battery, battery terminals, ignition switch, coolant temp sensor, computer, fuel cap, oxygen sensors, catalytic converter, intake/exhaust gasket, air cleaner, etc. for a while.

Comment

I never said anything about taking it to a dealership.....I said take it to a shop.....as in a regular mom and pop mechanic's shop !

where the mechanics actually know what to do and have been doing it for decades !

I never take anything to the dealership ! EVER !
        I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
        Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
        it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
        Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

I'll probably end up having to do that.

Comment

Update.

Last night. Compression check. Thought all hope was lost because of blowing white smoke. Compression was within spec on all 6 cylinders, with 140 on all but number 6, which was 120. Within the 30psi of each other given in the manual.............
            During the compression test, of course I had everything unhooked but there was arcing EVERYWHERE. I've never seen an ignition throw so many sparks so far...Finally unplugged the coil from the harness.....Cut up some RV sink drain hose and McGuyvered myself some wire loom and SO FAR, so good....My oil pressure dummy gauge even reads consistently now.

Use looms to separate your spark plug wires from each other.... AND the dipstick tube..... AND the AC hardlines...... AND the oil pressure sender.......AND eveything else metal anywhere near the wires. I've had wires touching each other in every vehicle I've ever owned and never had this happen. It's the only thing that has remained constant throughout my quest to fix this beast.

Two years of driving this thing backfiring, idling rough and falling on it's face...... 20,000 some odd miles.....

I'm going to go crawl into a deep, dark hole and cry myself to sleep.

Comment

I have a 1998 jeep Cherokee 4.0 automatic. The drive train is mostly stock and no engine modifications. I am faorly good with working on cars but this has me stumped. I really need help if anyone has ideas. I really want to do some trail riding soon but can't do it the way it is. The following is a description of the problem. did you ever get it right? Thanks for reading it.

I am driving down the highway and jeep is running fine, went into passing gear to get around a truck and at about 4500 rpm the motor backfires and suddenly the jeep is in limp mode. won't go but about 10 miles an hour. Gauges are all ok. Not hot, good oil pressure and idles ok. Took off batt cables to reset computer and then could slowly get up to highway speed with allot of bacfiring and really no power. Doesn't miss at idle, backfires underpower and you can hear the drone of the motor trying to suck in air but not going anywhere. Mileage has dropped to about ten miles per gallon. Have computer codes that all state the transmission is messed up but it shifts and goes into passing gear as it should, Transmission does not slip. Does seem to shift a little early but that is likely from the way it is running. Vacumme appears down as you get little assit from the booster in breaking. I have found no vac lines off that I can see. Trans codes all refer to the electronics but like I said the tranmission does not seem to be the issue. Hasn't gotten worse but hasn't got better either. I am at a loss and really need help badly from someone if they are familiar with this problem or have ideas. Thanks for reading this. Contact me at 913 634 1880 with text or lccc@swbell.net or just leaveme a message. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X