Any Ideas???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ideas???

Need to put tow points on my XJ BAD. I have none right now and we all know it's a bad idea to go anywhere w/out them. just wondering if anyone has any ideas on where to put them on one with stock bumpers.

You should get some xj specific tow hooks they mount with the same bolts that the front bumper mounts use. There are plenty of write ups on naxja.com

Comment

I have the ones from Custom 4x4 Fabrication. They fit well and are reasonably priced. Thanks to all the mud at KS Rocks last month I've even used them.

Comment

couldnt you get the bolt on d rings and bolt them below the bumpers on the frame?

Comment

Originally posted by WillyNilly
          couldnt you get the bolt on d rings and bolt them below the bumpers on the frame?
          xjs are unibody so they really dont have a true frame.

Comment

ahh yea.. what does the bumper mount too?

Comment

I would bolt them to something more substantial than the factory bumper mounts. (unless you want pics of a torn off bumper) :roll:

I have templates for a heavy duty front bumper mount that also reinforces the steering box too!

they can be fabed straight out instead of the upswing I use with mine.

I used 3/8" steel and incorporated the front tow points into mount, but 1/4" would be strong enough :lol:

then

slap together a quick tube bumper and go wheeling ! :twisted:
              I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
              Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
              it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
              Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

I agree. The factory tow hooks used brackets that tied into additional points on the frame (or whatever an XJ has). The mounts I have are similar to the factory mounts and tie in 3 additional points other than the bumper mounts (iirc).

If you have the skills it wouldn't be hard to fab your own, the additional points are pretty obvious. and reinforcing the steering box mount like Spune did is a good idea.

I've seen lots of pictures of cracked XJs up near the tow hooks and steering box. So adding some beef in that area is highly recommended. Which reminds me I need to figure out a steering box reinforcement plate of my own ....

Comment

You can always bolt any type of tow hook to any place on the jeep. Just may take more fab work then others

Comment

I was just passing some time & came across this.
                    1. The thread is 3 yrs old
                    2. Just use a receiver hitch for rear

Comment

Weres a kid mounting point on a zj?

Comment

Working...
                      X