Steering gear

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering gear

I'm going to open up my steering gear tonight or tomorrow to replace all the seals. It's been leaking for a while and giving me a lot of whine off road. When front locker is on I can hardly steer it. Anyone have any tips on 03-06 wrangler steering gears?

I replaced mine with a new one for a Durango.

Comment

what size tire ya running to waste a steering box ? ..... or were hose connections leaking and ya didn't fill it ?
      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

I did the Durango swap on the XJ about a year ago - great upgrade and an easy direct bolt in job.

Where is the leak coming from?

Kind of long but pretty thorough video of how to do what you're wanting to - Bleepin Jeep - great resource for how to's:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=661ov4GIXAA

Last edited by JeepN4kc; 10-14-2016, 07:25 PM.
        -Mike B-
        '01 XJ Sport
        '11KK Limited

Comment

Ive been on 33's. It's leaking at seal. It's been leaky since I got Jeep. It was stock w 154000 miles, so I've been filling it as needed, but it just keeps getting worse, so I need to open it up and put in the seal kit. Just wondering if anybody had any tips. I've watched several YouTube videos on doing it, seems doable

Comment

Originally posted by TJRubi View Post
            Ive been on 33's. It's leaking at seal. It's been leaky since I got Jeep. It was stock w 154000 miles, so I've been filling it as needed, but it just keeps getting worse, so I need to open it up and put in the seal kit. Just wondering if anybody had any tips. I've watched several YouTube videos on doing it, seems doable
            yeah sorry I can't help much more than links. I've never broken down a steering box or or put in new seals.
            Just swapped out.

-Mike B-
            '01 XJ Sport
            '11KK Limited

Comment

Update, it was leaking at seals. It isn't that bad of a job, but try to have an extra set of hands and make sure you find all of the snap rings. That is important, seal won't budge with snap ring in place.

Comment

Thanks for the updates. Did you happen to take any pictures or video that you can share?

Kyle
                Kyle
                White Lightning - 2013 JK Sport S Wrangler
                Midnight Raider - 1999 Mustang GT
                1997 Ford F-250 4X4

Comment

Working...
                X