CB inbound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB inbound

Well EBAY strikes again. I purchased a used CB setup its a cobra 19 ultra III with an antenna. The unit was used but supposedly works. I may need some help with the setup if someone is knowledgeable on the subject.

I read the CB write up and did have a question. Whats the minimum height that you need the antenna to function properly?
    Last edited by Failureface; 02-15-2016, 09:01 PM.
    Nathan

You can also go to rightchannelradios.com. They have all kinds of install and trouble shooting information, as well as videos.
    Bill T.

Comment

I run cobra 29s, have like 3 (truck, yj, and cj) not aquanted with cobra ultra III
      I may be Rad and I may be Bad :pbj: but I am never SAD ! :kilt:
      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?
      it is a great feeling to have served your country and walk PROUD
      Yes veterans stand tall and their shadow protects all !

Comment

@Kyle - Thanks man ill do that

@Bbtj - Ill go check that site out. I just dont want to damage the CB because of improper setup.

@Spunebil - Glad to here the cobras are decent at least. I think it will be a good place for me to start. It seems to be pretty important for wheeling.
        Nathan

Comment

now that you edited your initial post to show it was a cobra 19, I have had a few over the years... I might even have an old one in garage ! .... set antenna midway ( they if adjustable) until you can tune it with a SWR meter. antenna on right rear bumper will get best reception from left front...... if you have a steel roof :) .... with jeep, I just use a cobra 29.... I can adjust SWR when ever I want ! ;)
          Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

I wont be getting my CB till late next week. I hope to get it hooked before frostbite.

Seems I should have asked if anyone a CB to part with lol. Oh well next time.
            Nathan

Comment

Ok so my CB was working good at frostbite. I won a firestik and am curious about how to tune it after I install it. Do we have a CB wizard that could teach me?
              Nathan

Comment

I take it that you didn't tune the antenna that came with the CB you bought. The first thing you will need is a SWR Meter. You can either buy one, or borrow one. If you borrow one, chances are whoever you borrowed it from can help you. It doesn't take that long to do. If you buy one, then check out rightchannelradios.com again. They have a video on tuning antennas and troubleshooting techniques. I would be willing to help you, if you can't find anyone else and you can wait. I won't be in town until the end of the month.
                Last edited by bbtj; 03-02-2016, 04:58 AM.
                Bill T.

Comment

Couple videos that give you the run down on tuning w/ SWRs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwFPKIjweP8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRWKZskxcs0
                  -Mike B-
                  '01 XJ Sport
                  '11KK Limited

Comment

No I didnt tune the CB prior to frostbite. I purchased it used as a set so I was hopeful it was pretuned to the CB it came with. Time was limited I had it setup that friday night prior to going luckily it did work.

Thanks for the videos I will check them out.
                    Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by Failureface View Post
                      No I didnt tune the CB prior to frostbite. I purchased it used as a set so I was hopeful it was pretuned to the CB it came with. Time was limited I had it setup that friday night prior to going luckily it did work.

Thanks for the videos I will check them out.

CBs are tuned to the vehicle they are in and antenna mounting location , if they could be tuned just to an antenna, no one would even need an SWR meter ! ;)
                      Yea I'm *Q*C* and ?

Comment

Working...
                      X