Looking to Install a RE 2" BB lift

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to Install a RE 2" BB lift

Does anyone have tips or pro's and con's to doing this mod to my jeep?

TIA,
    Dennis

What kind of Jeep do you have?

I have an 89 Cherokee XJ that got a Skyjacker 3" lift installed a few months ago. I love it, the best modification to my Jeep yet. The shop that did the work had a lot of trouble with bolts breaking. You might want to give all of the bolts you have to remove a shot of PB Blaster everyday for about a week. Make sure you have a supply of easy-outs and drill bits handy.

The curse of getting a Jeep lifted is that it unleashes a reoccuring desire to keep doing a little more. Now that I have new 31x10.5 tires I am wanting to get 33x12.5 which will require trimming the fenders then ...

Comment

Yeah, I should put that in my Sig. It's a '98 TJ right now completely stock. But I am definately wanting to go a bit higher.

Comment

Add another vote to the PB Blaster. It seems to be the most often recommended rust buster and has a very loyal following. Don't make the mistake of using WD-40 which is a good product, but not meant for loosening rusted parts. You'll probably have to undo your track bar and possibly the control arms, so make sure to spray them as well as the shock bolts and nuts. A "good" spring compresser will make the job easier. Make sure to use it with caution.

RE lift kits are among the best available, but you might want to take a look at the individual components in the 2" budget lift kit. As far as I can tell, the individual cost of the components add up to less than the cost of the kit. Essentially, you are buying some shocks and spacers. With that in mind, I would be inclined to pick the shock of my choice and then shop for the least expensive spacers. RE shocks are OK, but Bilsteins or OME would be worth looking into. Since spacers are generally created equal, check out Rusty's Off Road or JC Whitney for a better price.

RE's 2" budget kit is actually 1 3/4". Everything revolves around the tires. Make sure the lift height you go for is driven by your intended tire size. Tire size means everything off-road. Most other modifications are required to accomodate tires.

Big tires = ground clearance.

Agressive tread = traction.

Comment

Alyn, Thank you for the tip I may in fact look around for just the spacer's and then go with a more well know shock.

I am also thinking about a 1" BL, my goal is to fit 32" BFG AT ko's under it. Do you think that will be enough lift to fit?

Thanks

PS: I might have to pick your brain more when it gets closer to installation. Looks like were neighbors.

Comment

The shocks that RE provides are a well known brand, Doetsch Tech, but most products have a "good, better, best" progression in their product line. I don't know if these are the popular DT-3000's.

As far as clearance goes, I drive a Cherokee so hopefully someone else can chime in on this. From what I know, TJ's can run 32's with 2" - 2 1/2" lifts. Your wheel backspacing will make a difference and whether or not you disconnect your sway bars for wheelin'. If you have 3.73 axles and an auto you probably won't have to worry about changing gears. Don't forget to get or do an alignment when you're done. Your toe and castor will change as you go up.

Personally, I wouldn't settle for a 1" lift. If you're going to put in the effort to install a lift, you might as well get your money's worth. You'll want to see a difference.

You'll feel better driving your rig when you're a few inches higher too.

Comment

Whoops! Forgot to sign in for the previous post (Guest).

Thought this might interest you.

http://ptheune.net/~pir/photos/Jeeps...ctor/index.htm

Comment

Once again sorry I didn't mention the other stuff about my Jeep. It's the 4.0L manual trans. I do not believe I have the Dana 44 rear. With the stock Grizzly wheels.

I do quite a bit of research and talking with other Jeepers over at:
                [/url]http://bbb.quadratec.com[/url]

There seems to be quite a few people who are satisfied with the DT3000's, and if I decided to higher a year or so down the line I could easily eBay the BB for half my money back.

Now I last night I started to price out the Rusty's BB, and BL and then buying seperate shocks. Are the shocks usually listed as each or pair? Because the OME's were like $75, and I am afraid that is each. If so that will blow me way over budget on this project.

Thanks for the continued help Alyn, I appreciate all feedback.

PS: Where is everyone? Let's get this board hoppin :D

Comment

That was my reply above. I don't get this sign in thing. Is there something to turn the cookies on so that it remembers me? :?

Comment

OME stuff is pretty costly, but seems like people that buy it are glad they did. So, your $75.00 is probably for 1 shock. A little high for my wallet. If you've found the DT3000's for a good price, that's probably the way to go.
                    I have Rusty's on the front and Monroe SensaTracs on the rear with no complaints.

Comment

Yeah, thought it was $75 per shock. So if I went that way I would end up in $300 range, if I was going that high I probably should just go ahead and get RE 3.5" with coils, shocks and all that stuff for $490.

Here is the deal that I found from www.allmyneeds.com RE 2" BB for $199 plus free shipping for $21 more I can get the DT3000. There are always 1" BL lifts complete and new on eBay for under $100.

They say the DT3000 doesn't change the ride that much.

What kind of lift are you running on your rig Alyn?

Comment

check out http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/spacerz.html

i got a front and rear set of 2" BB for $64

the site has good instructions for installing these and other products also.

Wes
                        Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

Hey thanks for the tip to Kevinsoffroad. I am now looking down the avenue of maybe just going with a 3" Coil lift.

I like all the good things that I hear about the RE lifts but the $$$ is somewhat unattractive at this time. I have been looking at Rusty's suspension systems.

Anyone know any KC jeepers running Rusty's?

Comment

I started with Rusty's 3" lift on my Cherokee and last year added 1 3/4" spacers to it. I've recommeded Rusty's to many other Cherokee owners. Good bang for the buck. If you go to the 5" to 6" range, RE's drop brackets make a huge difference in street ride.

I wouldn't recommed Rusty's steering conversion or track bar. Too many reports of poor engineering and early wear. Also, his disconnects are light duty and noisy. Rusty may have a new HD trackbar out that improves on the original.

For a trackbar, I have Kevin's WJ style. Nice piece.

Comment

i would spent the extra $$ and get the RE kit. i have been running the RE 4.5 on a 96 Grand for 2 years and have had no problems. it rides good and flex's very well.

i have the rusty steering conversion and it does well and has held up well.

i will be selling the steering conversion soon if anyone wants one, i am installing a custom Dana 44 in the front and it uses a different tie rod and drag link setup.
                              Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X