transfer case ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transfer case ?

hello, I just bought a 98 grand cherokee, with the select trac, NP242 I think is what it is called. Anyway I have the same transmission and transfer case on my 89 cherokee. And both have allways shifted really well on the 89. On me 98 thought its another story.....I can shift the transfer case from 2 wheel to full time 4 wheel with out any problems, but trying it get it into 4 low, is a pain......I have to pull and yank the lever to get it to engage and getting it out of 4 low and back into full time 4 or into 2 wheel drive is full of grinding (Ouch?) and pulling and pushing on the lever.....even tried to put the transmission into N, that was a mistake then the transmission starts grinding and making all kinds of terrible noise trying to put it back into drive or referse....Is there some kind of sychronizer that could be messed up, does anyone have any ideas, The linkage does feel unsure when selecting the on the transfer case....sort of sloppy. I have never heard such racket when trying to egage the trasnfer case....its not right thats for sure. My 89 cherokee has over 200,000 miles on it, and shifts perfectly....transmission and transfer case....final question.....are the transfer cases interchangeable, just thought of that, havent gotten under and taken a look yet. Any insight would be appreciated.... thanks

The transmission in your Grand is not whats in your XJ, as for as I know Jeep didn't put the AW4 in Grands but I could be wrong. For me to go into low I have to be in N and be going very slow for it now to grind. Are you standing still when you go in to low?

Comment

Some of my friends in my club might beable to help you. You can post over on our board if you like or wait to see who on here can help you. http://www.trailkrawlers4x4.org/forum/

Comment

242's and 249's are common in a grand. I had a 249 but switched to a 242.

with the brake on and with the jeep in drive pull all the way back to full time, put the tranny in neutral and pull back again into 4lo. you should not have to force it, but if you pull to slowly it will grind.

on mine, if you give it gas while the TC or tranny is in neutral or the tranny is in gear and the TC is in neutral, then try to shift to any position, 4hi,4lo or fulltime it grinds like crazy. not sure what ,but that causes something in the TC to start spinning then it wont shift until the motion stops.
        Wes

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Comment

thanks a million

once again you guys were spot on.......thank you both very much, everything is hunkydory now......or as they say in the hood.....It's all good! definately going to have to get to one of your meetings, and join the kcjeep club.....thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X