CB Squelch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Squelch?

When am I supposed to be using this? I really don't understand what it does?

That's a really good question. Maybe someone who knows a lot about cb communication could do a write-up and it could be a sticky. Here is what I've found from just messing with it.

The way I understand it, is that squelch essentially turns down the sensitivity (range) of your receiver, and maybe your transmitter too. I use it when there is a lot of interference or static that doesn't contain voice transmission. I just turn it up until I don't hear it anymore. Or, if you're in a group on the trail, then you can turn it up so that you don't receive transmissions from outside the group.

Comment

it does work that way....it in no way affects your output.....just what you get in......if you are in a high radio traffic area....it blocks out the more distant and garbled transmissions.....lets you get what you want thats closer....best to adjust as needed.....just till the static is gone.....on a good quiet day.....you can turn it all the way down and hear greater distance....if its busy......you can always go to another channel and get better reception.......and please take it from a former truck driver......please stay off of channel 19.....those guys are usually needing help from other drivers .... :D

Comment

More simply stated, squech is basically a 'threshold' setting. Anything below this (in signal strength) is ignored.

please stay off of channel 19.....those guys are usually needing help from other drivers
        Huh? I listen to channel 19 constantly as I travel the hiways (3 days a week), and very seldom is there anything but chit chat, what hooker is at what truck stop, how bad the '4 wheelers' are ruining the roads or how bad their driving is, etc.

Yes, if they have some useful info to share they do it on this channel, but by far this is simply the default channel for the hiways.

Channel 9 is designated as the emergency channel, and sometimes monitored by state troopers. But, with the wide use of cellphones now I don't think many are actually listening anymore.

Comment

and channel 4 used by many 4 wheelers.... 8)

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X