What about Engine mods.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about Engine mods.....

I hear alot about Off Road Performance mods, tires, lift kits, protection, but don't hear that much about any Engine Performance mods.

What are some things I could do to my '98 TJ 4.0 to get better performance out of the engine, and maybe a deeper sound too?

What have you done to your Engine?

Thanks, Dennis

When the stock manifold cracks get a Borla header or Banks header. As far as sound goes I have Flowmaster 40 and it sounds good. Some people say that the Flowmaster improves performance. I cant say that I noticed any difference in performance but the sound makes you think you did anyway.

I have heard the Jet stage kits help but I have no experience with them so I can not give a recommendation on it maybe someone else will chime and give more info on it.

Comment

How much does a flowmaster muffler run?

Originally posted by looksurf
      When the stock manifold cracks get a Borla header or Banks header. As far as sound goes I have Flowmaster 40 and it sounds good. Some people say that the Flowmaster improves performance. I cant say that I noticed any difference in performance but the sound makes you think you did anyway.

I have heard the Jet stage kits help but I have no experience with them so I can not give a recommendation on it maybe someone else will chime and give more info on it.

Comment

I think I paid like 70.00 off ebay. There is guy on there that sells lot Flowmasters. Install was 20.00 or 15.00 from a muffler shop down the street from our business.

Comment

I have always been partial to turbos. Most of my vehciles are. The jeep will be also shortly.

Comment

mods

Headers, a flowmaster 40 series is right on (I reccomend stainless) Delta, there is nothing in these to burn up. This is important if you drown your jeep, blow water out your plugs and and then hook up your spark wires wrong and run rich buring up the muffler (been there done that) :x ! You could get a cat back system. Throttle body spacer will help a little along with a cold air intake. The air intake will serve two fold, first if you are ever in deep water it will pull air from the part of the element that is not covered, unlike an air box (factory) that will suck the air/water/debris on into the filter's even surface. Secondly, you will get a little better gas milage w/ the spacer and cold air intake and power gains( it's not neck snapping but a little noticable). Bigger throttle bodies can help rubicon express has one. These are just simple bolt-ons that you could do, except for the muffler. Olathe Muffler does oustanding work and great labor pricing. I bought my muffler from summit. Just make sure you get the right inlet size and location and same goes for the outlet. Is your gearing letting you down, if you have larger than stock tires did you change the ring and pinion to compromise?

Comment

Re: mods

Originally posted by aandeyj
              Headers, a flowmaster 40 series is right on (I reccomend stainless) Delta, there is nothing in these to burn up. This is important if you drown your jeep, blow water out your plugs and and then hook up your spark wires wrong and run rich buring up the muffler (been there done that) :x ! You could get a cat back system. Throttle body spacer will help a little along with a cold air intake. The air intake will serve two fold, first if you are ever in deep water it will pull air from the part of the element that is not covered, unlike an air box (factory) that will suck the air/water/debris on into the filter's even surface. Secondly, you will get a little better gas milage w/ the spacer and cold air intake and power gains( it's not neck snapping but a little noticable). Bigger throttle bodies can help rubicon express has one. These are just simple bolt-ons that you could do, except for the muffler. Olathe Muffler does oustanding work and great labor pricing. I bought my muffler from summit. Just make sure you get the right inlet size and location and same goes for the outlet. Is your gearing letting you down, if you have larger than stock tires did you change the ring and pinion to compromise?
              Re-Gearing is definately letting me down after moving to 31" on my 3.07 gear ratio. I have heard that is very expensive too, so it will have to wait.

I was basically wanting some new ideas, and to hear what others have done to their Jeep's engines. What Air Intake would you suggest?

Comment

One of my next mods is going with K&N Generation II Fuel Injection Performance kit for my air intake.

Comment

The K&N fipkit II is what I would go with if money wasn't an issue, it's the most expensive of the kits out there but it is also one the nost complete and trusted names. I have experice with multiple applications and their products and recommend them as so. If you start looking for a cold air induction kit make sure it is a complete kit ie. that doesn't use any of the factory restricting tubing.

Austin

Comment

another good mod i will be doing soon is a 350 fuel inj 400 turbo and a dana 300 , you might feel a lil more power with that lol :lol:

Comment

Regear!

I would look into regearing before engine mods because your larger tires have taken you out of your engines power operating band. Lower gears will give you back power that you're not using. Think about it a Rubicon comes from the factory with 4.10's. Call Mark Briscoe at Valley Jeeps, 816-863-4286, to check out pricing.
                      "Jeep at your own risk"
                      John "Mac" McEntire

Comment

Hey DennisJayhawk I have a flowmaster on my TJ, I like the way it sounds. I also have a big cone K&N from Rustys, so is my flowmaster. http://www.rustysoffroad.com/Merchan...egory_Code=PER Other than those mods thats about all I would really do. I would regear before any other major engine mods.

Comment

Working...
                        X